What's new

Manually assigned IP list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redvers

Regular Contributor
While the text for the static IP list in the DHCP page says there is a limit of 128 devices that can be configured, I have found that even with a much shorter list (~75 devices) I get issues where the names are too long and there isn't enough space in the configuration area assigned for this to store them all. I've then had to go through renaming devices to get everything to fit!

Is it possible to get the memory/buffer size for this configuration option increased, or is that a part of the Asus firmware that cannot be amended?

Is it possible to get the memory/buffer size for this configuration option increased, or is that a part of the Asus firmware that cannot be amended?

Broadcom now hardcodes various limitations, can't work around them. You will have to manually add them to dnsmasq.conf.add.

Why would you need 75 static leases anyway? Static leases should only be used for devices truly requiring static leases, like servers or printers.

Broadcom now hardcodes various limitations, can't work around them. You will have to manually add them to dnsmasq.conf.add.

Why would you need 75 static leases anyway? Static leases should only be used for devices truly requiring static leases, like servers or printers.
Am not sure if there is a better way to do this, but I want to ensure that all “similar devices” are grouped together I.e. all the lounge devices are in one range, Teen 1’s devices in another range, Teen 2’s in another, etc. It means I can tell at a glance from an IP address who/what it relates to, and with a bit of foresight have ensured that all phones end in a 5.

It also means that should I see something pop up in my DHCP range (.200+) I know it’s a “rogue” device and investigate!

If Broadcom are saying that they support up to 128 devices then the space available should accommodate 128 * ( 15 + 23 + whatever) bytes of data... am guessing it’s a 4KB limit rather than the maybe 9KB required to store the maximum permitations...

Will have a look at the DNSMASQ stuff, might make my life a bit easier with maintenance too ;)

If Broadcom are saying that they support up to 128 devices then the space available should accommodate 128 * ( 15 + 23 + whatever) bytes of data... am guessing it’s a 4KB limit rather than the maybe 9KB required to store the maximum permitations...

The limit is not with the number of devices, it's with the maximum amount of data you can save for an nvram setting on newer routers. The hardcoded limit is 1000 characters per nvram setting.

Will have a look at the DNSMASQ stuff, might make my life a bit easier with maintenance too

It should be, as long you don't mind managing it over SSH rather than through the webui. Might be faster to add/remove devices that way.