What's new

Many reports of firmware 3.0.0.4.386.48377 bricking RT-AX86U. OK to upgrade to latest Merlin fw?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTS

Regular Contributor
The thread with reports of stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386.48377 bricking RT-AX86U is here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax86u-bricked-after-update-version-3-0-0-4-386-48377.78437/

I upgraded my RT-AX86U to Merlin 386.5 a few weeks ago and it has not been a great experience. I don't know whether to blame the fw version or something else because until today I did not take the time to investigate it. Today I had to do a hard reset (multiple of them) to access the device again. My plan was to next upgrade to Merlin fw 386.5_2. However, after seeing the thread above, I want to ask further before upgrading.

Is there any risk of those same issues reported for the stock firmware with Merlin fw 386.5_2?

No risk for either Merlin or the Asus released today. There is something fishy about those reports of bricking.

how can some upgrade fine and others not? is it due to the way they upgraded or something?
Could be a number of reasons. One of them, for example, is that over the years they used different ethernet controllers for the 2.5 Gbps port.

Could be a number of reasons. One of them, for example, is that over the years they used different ethernet controllers for the 2.5 Gbps port.
i seen that there were some wan changes for dns. is there any other changes asus made to the wan side of things?

i seen that there were some wan changes for dns. is there any other changes asus made to the wan side of things?
You'd have to ask Asus, I have no idea what changes are in that release.

I'll be locking this thread to avoid this specific topic to spill over three separate threads. For the OP: yes, Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 is safe, as it's based on 46065, and it has also gotten a few hundred downloads since its release without any major issue reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.