What's new

Many routers, what am I missing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One (technically easy to understand) point to think about is that directional antennas dont send only in this one and only direction, they will send around but only with prefered direction, often even very strong in reverse (180°) direction.
Believe the experts here, they are right to speak out for different solutions.

In the interests of providing some interesting (rough) data, the RV park is currently served by a professionally installed omni-directional antenna on the roof of the main building at one edge of park outputting signals on Channels 3, 9, 40 and 153. (there is no typo in those numbers) along with two 2.4 GHz WiFi in/WiFi out repeaters on power poles. One concern about a mesh network or wired repeaters is that the park does not have permission to climb those poles.

In my RV, about 100 meters from the single 5 GHz antenna, I get a usable signal on 153 from the main building. Using a Samsung smart phone and the Ubiquiti WiFiMan app I see about -80 dBm inside the RV and about -75 dBm outside the RV. If I adjust my HP laptop WiFi settings to search first on 5 GHz and desensitize roaming so that it stays on the relatively weak signal, I can lock onto 153 and stream Netflix. Trying to use 2.4 GHz, a much stronger signal, reminds me of 2400 baud except in the middle of the night when the rest of the park is sleeping.

One item in favor of the original installers is that all the office functions are on wired Ethernet.

Thanks again to all for the help.

One (technically easy to understand) point to think about is that directional antennas dont send only in this one and only direction, they will send around but only with prefered direction, often even very strong in reverse (180°) direction.
Believe the experts here, they are right to speak out for different solutions.

I certainly understand that issue. The directional antennas that will be used have about a 20 dB front to back ratio which in some circumstances could be a problem. In this case however, the total beam spread is about 220 degrees so the back signal is mostly pointing across the street and not a problem.

You forget that you get netflix on ONE SINGLE device, if any other client in the same wifi-range will use internet connection too you both will get about nothing.
Your single download may use your 5GHz channel full time for streaming as it is the only client in your test.
Most will buy a new powerful router and reuse their old router as Aimesh repeater, so you don't have to buy additional equipment (a repeater) and if something fails you still can replace it with the old router within short time to have continuous internet connection.

Last edited:
You forget that you get netflix on ONE SINGLE device, if any other client in the same wifi-range will use internet connection too you both will get about nothing.
Your single download may use your 5GHz channel full time for streaming as it is the only client in your test.
Most will buy a new powerful router and reuse their old router as Aimesh repeater, so you don't have to buy additional equipment (a repeater) and if something fails you still can replace it with the old router within short time to have continuous internet connection.

I was talking about this the other day with a friend, with 4K becoming more commonplace Wi-fi and internet connections are going to become strained very quickly with 24Mbps per stream!
Probably later down the road with RV’s, I’d assume 4K TV’s will not be commonplace in those for another few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!