What's new

Mapping a USB drive from an RT-AC3200 or from my PC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roldogg

Regular Contributor
I have a 5TB USB3 drive that I intend to keep copies of all my photos, videos, movies, etc on, but I also want other users on my network to be able to view these photos or stream these videos. Would it be better if I hook this drive up to my RT-AC3200 or should I install it on my PC and share it with other users on my network? I'd like to use it as a media server as well as backing up all my media files. I'd like to use some software, like Kodi, to set this up, but I'm not really familiar with the software yet and am just now starting to read about how it works, the add ons available, etc. I'm just not sure if I could use the drive this way if it's hooked up to my router or if there would be any advantage to hooking it up to my router vs my PC. Does the firmware of the router (I'm using Merlin's firmware) support 5TB drives?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!