What's new

Marvell Kirkwood Series - CPU Limitations.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
The Kirkwood Series used in the latest Buffalo, Qnap 219, and Synology DS209, Seagate 220, and lots of other NAS.

According to Synology it is an 16bit CPU ( I have doubt on that ) running in 800Mhz to 1 - 1.2Ghz.

Even an iPhone 3GS CPU is 2 Generation ahead of it.

They could afford to put an Atom inside NAS. Why not ARM Cortex A8? I am sure it would still be much cheaper then Intel's solutions.

I believe that the CPU core is 32 or 64. But the memory bus interface is only 16 bit.
Download this and this white paper for more details.

NAS processor selection is based on tradeoff between price, performance and power. Different manufacturers have different priorities.

I believe that the CPU core is 32 or 64. But the memory bus interface is only 16 bit.
Download this and this white paper for more details.

NAS processor selection is based on tradeoff between price, performance and power. Different manufacturers have different priorities.

Thanks for the links, never knew the Marvell chips were so expensive. Intel Definitely gave the best price to performance ratio here. ( Which means they are making more money from Intel Atom based NAS )

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!