What's new

Maximum stable speeds supported on ASUS RT-AC88u with FTTP Internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TanyaC

Regular Contributor
I have a 100/40 fiber plan connected via fiber to the premises.
ISPs are offering 200, 250 and 1000 Mbps plans.
I am wondering what sort of stable maximum speeds I could achieve with this router?
thanks

100Mbps is 125MB/s well with the speed of a gigbit ethernet at home

I am wondering what sort of stable maximum speeds I could achieve with this router?
thanks
Read the SNB review here. You won't be able to get full gigabit download speeds. But it should be able to handle 250 Mbps easily.

100Mbps is 125MB/s well with the speed of a gigbit ethernet at home
This make no sense.

With no 'feature's, options, and certain other scripts running via amtm or otherwise, the router is good to around 500Mbps up/down in my experience. At 600Mbps-750Mbps or higher, it is not worth paying for the ISP speeds unless they cost the same as lower tiers (via 'offers') and you're planning to get a new router (RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U or better) in a short time frame.

The 1000mbps plan is only guaranteed up to 222Mbps. I think the cost was A$249 per month, but they seem to have stopped advertising this plan.
The 250Mbps plan is also only guaranteed to 222Mbps, at A$149 per month. But it's limited to 25Mbs up.
So the 1000 seems to be a bit of a joke. It also has a 3TB cap. Lol, they give you all this bandwidth then limit it's use.
I am not planning to upgrade my router any time soon. Been out of work since March.
But since my 100/40 is going to increase to $109 per month I was wondering if it worth the extra $20 to go to a 250/25 plan
I think I'm better to just stay on the 100/40. It seems the only way to get over 25Mbps up is to pay over A$200 per month.

thanks

You should easily get 400 to 500mbps maybe more over wireless with that router on the 5 Ghz band. I can achieve this on both my AC3100 and my AX58U.