What's new

Media bride on a network without another asus router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johntitor

Occasional Visitor
Got a spare ac68u but my current network is a eero network (for now, free from my isp). I was wondering is there a way to use it as a media bridge on my network without another asus router?

Media Bridge is what Asus calls the Wireless Bridge in other routers. It works with any Wi-Fi network.

Linksys router example:

1670723488956.png

This one is connected to my Ruckus APs of my main network.

Nah I believe you, I'm starting to think that explanation is out dated on Asus's end lol. Gonna try it out in a bit! Thanks!
I'll post an update how it goes with the eero.

No, I kept one heavily modified AC86U (not suitable for donation) and purchased one AX86U to see what it is (a disappointment).

Media Bridge on AC68U is not very stable on all firmware versions. You have to experiment what works and doesn't require reboots.

No, I kept one heavily modified AC86U (not suitable for donation) and purchased one AX86U to see what it is (a disappointment).

Media Bridge on AC68U is not very stable on all firmware versions. You have to experiment what works and doesn't require reboots.
Completely agree, I kinda posted about it wireless buying advice, but the last time I had to upgrade, I got a free set of Eero's from my ISP who was also my employer. Have been kinda out of my modding routers and building up a network game for a bit. Playing around with my old ac68u is probably going to be my gateway drug to buy a bunch of new equipment.

Just can't decide what yet but damn prices are stupid now.

The two are completely different. Not the same generation. AC86U is much faster HND platform with ARMv8 CPU and better AC Wave 2 radios.
Oh my memory must be foggy, could've swore it was similar timing, was in university or high school back then probably all blur now

I'll check it out! Haven't heard of Omada. I have been joking about how UniFi seems more affordable these days.

Some recent posts with example hardware:

It's more expensive than home routers (most), but better in comparison with home "mesh" offers.

There are many Omada compatible APs. You can choose the ones with specs according to your requirements.

If you are asking about cheaper EAP610 - AX1800 class, up to 1200Mbps link to common 2-stream client, about 850Mbps possible throughput. Don't forget when you have multiple APs the throughput is to each AP. Aggregate throughput may be in multi-Gigabit numbers.

I have one system with 8x APs* and it pushes 4Gbps aggregate traffic to N (2.4GHz band) and AC (5GHz band) clients. 10Gbps link to server though.

* - different brand APs, just an example of possible throughput with multi-AP system.

I have one system with 8x APs* and it pushes 4Gbps aggregate traffic to N (2.4GHz band) and AC (5GHz band) clients. 10Gbps link to server though.

* - different brand APs, just an example of possible throughput with multi-AP system.
That sounds like paradise if its residential use.

That sounds like paradise if its residential use.

No, business network. You can have something similar at home though, depending on the budget. If you need multi-Gigabit throughput your switch will be the most expensive part of your network. A switch with 16x 1/2.5/5/10Gbps ports with PoE+ and few hundred watts power budget is $3000 and up.