What's new

Media bridge speed issue with main AX3000 and bridge ac68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

I'm having some speed issues with the new configuration. I bought AX3000 to replace AC68 and want to make AC68 to be a bridge so I can connect Xbox and sony tv to it. I originally had AC68 as the main router and Netgear R7000 as a bridge. R7000 seems to have issues staying connected and drops bridge every couple of 4-7 days. I have to reboot it to get the connection back. My ISP speed is 200/5Mbps. Running speed test on the tv when R7000 was connected I would get easily 180-190 Down but when I connected my AC68 I only can get 70-80 Mbps.

Any advice?

Here is a screenshot of AC68. It shows the link at 1300 to main router. My R7000 would only show up to 780.
1652223123094.png

Just looked at my media bridge, using the RT-AX3000 for that, and it's been up for 64 days. Been totally reliable. Took it down a couple of months ago to flash new firmware, but other than that, it's been trouble free as a media bridge. Similar results to the speed of your R7000 media bridge, seeing about 580Mbps on the Apple TV that's connected to it. Given that we have 500Mbps fiber that's provisioned about 620Mbps, doing well.

So my suggestion would be to use your RT-AX3000 for your media bridge and then get another router, like another RT-AX3000 or RT-AX86U or some other model of router. The only other thing that I could suggest is doing a reset of the RT-AC68U to factory defaults as kind of a hail mary, and then reconfiguring it as media bridge again and giving it another shot. If that straightens the AC68U out, you're good as-is.

You are asking me to spend another $200 on an additional router. R7000 is similar hardware as ac68. I hope you are joking.

You are asking me to spend another $200 on an additional router. R7000 is similar hardware as ac68. I hope you are joking.
How do you get Netgear R7000 working together with Asus system?

I'm not asking you to do anything *smile*. Just noticing that the both the RT-AC68U and R7000 sound like they might be over the hill at this point. If you can rescue the RT-AC68U via a factory reset, that would be great, but it doesn't sound too healthy. What you do is totally up to you...there are opportunities to get less expensive routers, though, like refurbished, open box, used, etc. You can find some nice prices on eBay as well for "pre-owned" routers. I've gone that route a few times, and saved quite a bit.

Hopefully you can make the AC68U serve your needs as a media bridge, though. But the media bridge function is pretty basic, without much configuration other than switching it into that mode. Kind of a basic test of functionality for a wireless router.

Here's a description of how to factory reset various Asus routers:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074

Hope that you can get your AC68U going this way.

Does anybody know why my lan mac and 2.4 mac are the same on AC68? I assume it has nothing to do with bridge or not.
1652279063472.png

It feels like double NATing. I don't know why. I see some people had issues with bridge mode on ac68. Some tried john9527 fork and had better luck. I'm going to try it. If it works then it is an issue with newer FWs.

I'm not asking you to do anything *smile*. Just noticing that the both the RT-AC68U and R7000 sound like they might be over the hill at this point. If you can rescue the RT-AC68U via a factory reset, that would be great, but it doesn't sound too healthy. What you do is totally up to you...there are opportunities to get less expensive routers, though, like refurbished, open box, used, etc. You can find some nice prices on eBay as well for "pre-owned" routers. I've gone that route a few times, and saved quite a bit.

Hopefully you can make the AC68U serve your needs as a media bridge, though. But the media bridge function is pretty basic, without much configuration other than switching it into that mode. Kind of a basic test of functionality for a wireless router.

Here's a description of how to factory reset various Asus routers:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074

Hope that you can get your AC68U going this way.
I did the factory reset but it did not help. Both routers are standing side by side and giving different results. R7000 gives 199 Mbps and AC68 gives 70-80. Both routers are similar in power and hardware. They should perform the same.

So I did more testing. I loaded the official latest Asus fw and the speed remains almost the same. I was able to get 100-110 Mbps. Then I loaded John's fork fw and what do you know. I get 210 Mbps.

@RMerlin Is there anything I can try to do? Do you know if there is a problem with the official Asus fw with the media bridge?

I know if I contact Asus they will tell me that AC68 is out of luck. I just know it.

Thanks

I've never used Media Bridge mode, so I can't help you with that. Sorry.

I'm just wondering if there is something in the code base that you can compare to John's fork.
Everything related to wifi is closed source and outside of my control.

Everything related to wifi is closed source and outside of my control.
It seems that AIMesh and Bridge were working on 386.3_2 fw but now is broken for newer fw.