What's new

media bridge to access point with directional antennas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paultman

New Around Here
I've got two N66U's connected to directional antennas on opposites sides of the street. The media bridge gets the ethernet connection to the net and beams to the other which receives the signal and gives both 2.4 and 5 wireless access.

It's working great, about 150mb wireless link between the units. However I have a few questions which I'm hoping to find some help on.

First, when first testing, I thought the link was 450mb. 150 is surely enough, but 3x is better ;) The distance between the antennas is only... maybe 50feet.
A) for the media bridge, I only have the directional antenna connected. Should it be on the middle jack (there are 3). For the access point, I have the two stock antennas on 1 & 3 and the directional antenna on 2, is that optimal? does each port run a seperate signal(2.4 or 5)?

B) Should I isolate the signals, meaning connect the routers on 2.4 or 5 and hide the ssid on the same frequency on the accesspoint (so no guests use it). If so, would the 5ghz signal span 50feet with clear line of sight as the 2.4? Speaking of isolation, could I completely dedicate that band only to the media link?

C) Last, I read a few posts about dual wan (prefer load balancing). Can I also have this running on the media bridge? I was thinking I'd have to set up another router specifically for the dual wan, but i was overjoyed to read about some success with Merlin setups running dual wan.

Thanks for any feedback,

Paul
First paypal donation to the Merlin project this morning :) (May7, 2016)

With MIMO, the antennas have to be matched (same type) - that way all the radio chains are used... if you mix Omni and Directional, you break MIMO...