What's new

Media Bridge with separate WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ccMatrix

New Around Here
Hello,

I am currently running 3 Asus RT-AC87U routers. One is primary device while the other two act as media bridges on the 5Ghz 802.11ac network. I wanted to use all 3 devices as 2.4Ghz access points as well. The primary device has the 2.4Ghz network up and running but the other devices don't seem to have an active wireless access point. Forcing any settings via the /Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp do not seem to have any effect.

All devices currently run the latest merlin asuswrt version. But the interface does not expose any wireless settings.

Is there any way to achieve the setup I am after?

Thanks,
Ben

bump

Should I provide additional information about the planned setup?

If the setup is not possible with Asuswrt-Merlin please let me know so I can stop trying. If so: Is there another firmware that might be able to do this or is it a hardware limitation?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Assuming I understand you correctly, I have done that successfully with DD-WRT and Padavan's Asus firmware. I have secondary routers that work as 5GHz media bridges (one is retired now, but worked fine while in service). Both connect to the main router using 5GHz. The 2.4GHz radios on both are free for use with unique SSIDs. This enables me to move some 2.4GHz traffic to 5GHz, effectively.

Both current main routers are Netgear (R6300V1 and R6300V2). Both currently have DD-WRT firmware. The built in Netgear media bridge implementation turns off 2.4GHz on the bridge router. Had Netgear left it enabled, I probably would have left Nergear firmware on the client bridge router.

This doesn't answer your Merlin Asus question, but it at least provides some background on the issue with respect to other firmwares.

I second the request for my AC-87u(s), and have tried exposing the GUI pages that are hidden when Media Bridge is enabled, to no avail.

Specifically, I'd like to use the 5GHZ radio as a bridge to the ethernet ports (done) AND the 2.4GHz radio (as an access point).

I too am able to do this with DD-WRT and Padavan (on different hardware).

It's a very useful feature, but I realize it is not baked into ASUSWRT. Thanks for bringing it up.

You are looking for the Repeater Mode - which is not available on Ac87 as yet - i do not know if it will be available

I think I read that repeater mode is available via the WDS section for the RT-AC87U.

as far as i know is not possible and i remember that i read that WDS is working at maximum 54mbps?