What's new

media network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doug91

New Around Here
I'm putting together a multi room dvr type thing. I have a computer with a TV tuner in one part of the house. My TV is using a media extender (I think I'm going to go with the Linksys DMA2100). I'd like to connect the two with a separate local wireless network. so I have two questions:

1. what type of bandwidth should I be looking at for the router?
2. Should the router be the same brand as the media extender?

1. what type of bandwidth should I be looking at for the router?
2. Should the router be the same brand as the media extender?
The speed of the router doesn't matter since you will be streaming on the LAN side.
The wireless bandwidth you need depends on the type of content and number of streams that you will be using. There is some data here and here that can help you determine bandwidth needs.

I guess I'm not really understanding.

Should I match brand names? in other words should my router and media extender be of the same manufacturer for best performance?

Should I match brand names? in other words should my router and media extender be of the same manufacturer for best performance?
No. If you are streaming files from a media server on your LAN, all the router is doing is acting as a switch.

If the content is coming from the Internet, then the download routing speed of the router must be greater than the peak bit rate of the stream that you are watching.

I can't say if the testing supports this, but I've always seemed to get better performance when I match brand names.

As for streaming content within the home (I am assuming Windows Media Center?), then it depends if you're watching it "live" or off the stuff that's been recorded. TheGreenButton.com is a great place to get more detailed info about WMC.

If you're going wired, there's no need to match brands at all. If you're going wireless, you also don't have to, but several tests on SNB do show that to achieve greatest speed with a lot of wireless products, product matching is a good idea.

OK so I am definately sticking with the linksys DMA2100 as my media extender.
Can I just buy a Wireless-N adapter and run a p2p network using the adapter and extender??
OR should I buy a router, connect it to PC via ethernet cable, and connect to router with the the extender?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!