What's new

Media Server issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stevemcclure

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Over the last few months I have been having issues with my media severs disconnecting from all devices in my house, with the only way to get them back is by rebooting the router. But then 30 mins later they all disappear again.

Media server is universal media server running on my PC, wired to router, also have a hard drive plugged into the router for my 4K videos. This is all serving 3 Samsung tv's, also all wired connections.

Router is AC87u currently on 380.62_1 firmware.

This problem randomly started on 380.59 which had always been fine. I have since upgraded to 380.61 and now 380.62_1 and reset the router back to defaults this time around. Still have this problem.

I have tried disabling NAT acceleration, QOS, firewall, IPv6, this has not helped. Router Logs say nothing when the media servers disappear.

Can you guys think of anything else I could possibly try or look at to find the cause of this problem? Are there any other logs I can get at in the router?

My next step was to check all network cabling throughout the house, but other than that I am at a loss now.

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In tools-other, do you have the miniupnp enable secure mode option set to yes? If so, try it as no and see if that helps. Assuming that you are serving those through your UMS as well.

In tools-other, do you have the miniupnp enable secure mode option set to yes? If so, try it as no and see if that helps. Assuming that you are serving those through your UMS as well.

Hi, set that to no, router applied settings and everything appeared on my TVs. Both shared drive and UMS. Unfortunately about 30 mins later it has all gone again. Can't understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What version of UMS are you running? Is there anything in that log that is helpful? The router logs are under the administration tab, does it show any spindown/usb/upnp errors?

What version of UMS are you running? Is there anything in that log that is helpful? The router logs are under the administration tab, does it show any spindown/usb/upnp errors?
Currently 6.5.0, I notice 6.5.1 is out now so will be installing that tonight. The router logs show nothing in regards to any errors, I will go through the UMS logs again tonight at the moment of disconnect and see if I can see anything. But to lose UMS and the USB share from the router on all devices at the same time, one would naturally point the finger at the router, but i suppose anything is possible. I am also going to format the drive to EXT3, as i have just discovered NTFS can be flaky at the best of times after reading another thread, also I am wondering if it is worth looking at the miniupnp.conf on the router?

Hi, I have the same problem months ago. And by my opinion reasons was two:

When i use transmission to download torrents the was problem with my free memory and downloaded file was corrupted. From one post i understand if you have corrupted file on your media folder DLNA dispear after 20-30 minutes.

After resolving this issue , i have problem with multicast snooping and by reading this topic i've resolve the problem.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-problem-kernel-dlna-unknown-device.19806/#post-226206

Now almost a year I don't have any problem with that. My router is AC87U with 56_2 at the moment, i'm afraid to update because i dont have time to resolve all new issues :)))

You can try.

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same problem months ago. And by my opinion reasons was two:

When i use transmission to download torrents the was problem with my free memory and downloaded file was corrupted. From one post i understand if you have corrupted file on your media folder DLNA dispear after 20-30 minutes.

After resolving this issue , i have problem with multicast snooping and by reading this topic i've resolve the problem.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-problem-kernel-dlna-unknown-device.19806/#post-226206

Now almost a year I don't have any problem with that. My router is AC87U with 56_2 at the moment, i'm afraid to update because i dont have time to resolve all new issues :)))

You can try.
Corrupted files, I would never of thought of that. I am currently doing a test where by UMS is now pointed at an empty folder, and external hard drive is removed, just to see if the media servers stay. If they stay then I can start adding files back one by one.
On another note I found a minidlna log file on the external HD and it was full of errors, for example. warn: Unsuccessful getting details & warn: received signal 15, good-bye.
I shall report back the outcome of this.

if it was dying on a particular file you should see something in the .minidnla/minidlna.log file like you did. to get more details you can restart the miniupnp server from the command line after killing what is running by doing:
/usr/sbin/minidnla -v -R -f /etc/minidlna.conf

you can always check top on top on the command line to see if the server is running when it dies. Normally miniupnp is the top process if enabled when the system load is low. I really thing that there are no options that can really help you in the conf file, here is what the program looks at when it parses the conf file:

enum upnpconfigoptions {
UPNP_INVALID = 0,
UPNPIFNAME = 1, /* ext_ifname */
UPNPPORT, /* port */
UPNPPRESENTATIONURL, /* presentation_url */
UPNPNOTIFY_INTERVAL, /* notify_interval */
UPNPUUID, /* uuid */
UPNPSERIAL, /* serial */
UPNPMODEL_NAME, /* model_name */
UPNPMODEL_NUMBER, /* model_number */
UPNPFRIENDLYNAME, /* how the system should show up to DLNA clients */
UPNPMEDIADIR, /* directory to search for UPnP-A/V content */
UPNPALBUMART_NAMES, /* list of '/'-delimited file names to check for album art */
UPNPINOTIFY, /* enable inotify on the media directories */
UPNPDBDIR, /* base directory to store the database and album art cache */
UPNPLOGDIR, /* base directory to store the log file */
UPNPLOGLEVEL, /* logging verbosity */
UPNPMINISSDPDSOCKET, /* minissdpdsocket */
ENABLE_TIVO, /* enable support for streaming images and music to TiVo */
ENABLE_DLNA_STRICT, /* strictly adhere to DLNA specs */
ROOT_CONTAINER, /* root ObjectID (instead of "0") */
USER_ACCOUNT, /* user account to run as */
FORCE_SORT_CRITERIA, /* force sorting by a given sort criteria */
MAX_CONNECTIONS, /* maximum number of simultaneous connections */
MERGE_MEDIA_DIRS, /* don't add an extra directory level when there are multiple media dirs */
WIDE_LINKS /* allow following symlinks outside the defined media_dirs */
};

Ok I will start by putting a basic picture of how stuff is connected to my network.
SWKpp

Now I formatted the HDD to EXT3, it only has 1 video file and is currently plugged into the AC87 that acts as an AP. I have also added the following script Init-start to both routers.
#!/bin/sh
# Turn off multicast snooping (required for minidlna advertisement)
echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping

At the moment TV2 can see the HDD and has not disappeared in the last 12 hours which is a start. But TV1 can not see the HDD.

UMS still will not work even tho it is pointed to an empty folder, again the only way to make it show is reboot the router, but what I did not realise with UMS there are more logging options. It is showing the following constantly.

10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55194
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55195
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55196
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55197
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55198
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55199
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55200
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55201
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55202
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55203
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55204
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55205
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55206
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55207
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55208
10:49:19 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55209
10:49:20 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55210
10:49:20 TRACE Ignoring self-originating request from /192.168.2.10:55211

Now i don't know what is going on here but it looks like lots of ports opening, this will keep going all the way to 65535.

Also i don't know if the following information will help, but this is what is in UPnP file of the router.

ext_ifname=eth0
listening_ip=br0
port=0
enable_upnp=yes
enable_natpmp=yes
secure_mode=no
upnp_nat_postrouting_chain=PUPNP
upnp_forward_chain=FUPNP
upnp_nat_chain=VUPNP
notify_interval=60
system_uptime=yes
friendly_name=RT-AC87U