What's new

Medium(ish) system advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danshome

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm fairly new to NASes, but I've been taking the time to do a bit of research before plunging in. The problem is that I'm now down to a tough decision of exactly what model to choose and could use a bit of friendly advice based on people's experiences (and whether what I've read online actually reflects what I want the system to do)!

So, first off - requirements. I'm looking for a system to sit attached to my home network, probably in the living room (but in a cupboard, so while noise is an issue, it's not the be all and end all). I'm looking to store a fair old amount of media (videos, pictures, music) as well as personal files - as a result of which, I reckon that I'm really looking for somewhere in the region of 2-3Tb (2Tb is realistically current needs, 3 is for future expansion).

I'm hoping to watch the videos on my XBox 360, which is obviously going to be directly connected to the network. I know most systems offer some sort of UPnP/DLNA server, so hopefully that should be pretty seamless. iTunes availability is also good. On the other hand I couldn't give two hoots about photo sharing capabilities - I just need to be able to access them and can handle management myself. Similarly I don't really need a webserver or related capabililties, as I'm not planning on the system being accessible outside of the network.

While I care about backing up some of the data, I don't necessarily need to backup all of it (personal files is relatively important, if I lose the videos it'll be a pain but not the end of the world). My ideal solution is to really split things up to have a smallish RAID 1 volume for personal data and then single volume discs/JBOD for the media (if that is possible/seems like a sensible solution). Alternatively, maximal storage wins here. I've got a 1Tb eSATA/USB drive for backing up essentials so we can throw that in the mix too.

I started off last week looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, but after checking out this forum and a couple of other places, realised it's a bit long in the tooth. The NVX might be a good solution, but since it only comes pre-configured at ridiculous prices, it's probably a bit out of reach.

That's left me with a few options as far as I can see, none of which I can really choose between thanks to no hands-on experience. I'm sure pretty much all of them offer capabilities that I'm not going to need to some extent, but as long as they can be turned off/ignored, I don't necessarily mind that assuming that the product is good. My selection criteria is obviously based on fulfilling the above requirements, as well as taking into consideration ease of day-to-day use, future expansion possibilities, support (if necessary) and reliability/quality.

I think my choices are pretty much:

- ReadyNAS Duo
- ReadyNAS NV+ (even considering its age)
- Synology DS209
- Synology DS409 (+?)
- QNAP TS-209
- QNAP TS-409

Sorry this has been a bit long - hopefully someone can lend their opinions on what is the best way to go. I don't mind considering other options too!

Thanks,

Dan

With storage requirements in the 2 - 3 TB range for a single device, you're probably looking at a RAID 5 capable device. You might get by with a dual-drive device that can support JBOD and using 1.5 TB / 2 TB drives. That rules out the ReadyNAS Duo, since it can only combine drives using RAID 0, which isn't preferred since you lose all data if you lose one drive.

The QNAP and Synologys are expensive for what you want, mainly due to all the serving features that you don't need. Keep in mind the the pricing you see in the charts is without any drives.

I would consider the HP MediaSmart EX485/487. The 487 comes with 1.5 TB of storage, all of which is usable due to the unique way that Windows Home Server does file backup (via file replication). Storage expansion is easy, too.

Go take a look at the review (linked above) and come on back if you have questions.

Thanks for the ideas Tim!

I've just done a bit of a search and it looks like the new revisions of the MediaSmarts aren't yet being sold in the UK, so I guess that's out as an option. I agree that I'm probably going to end up looking at a RAID 5 capable device - and chances are it's always going to do slightly more than I'll need. Sadly I think my requirements just about span the border between low-end and high-end in an awkward fashion.

I don't suppose you've got any other thoughts?

With storage requirements in the 2 - 3 TB range for a single device, you're probably looking at a RAID 5 capable device. You might get by with a dual-drive device that can support JBOD and using 1.5 TB / 2 TB drives. That rules out the ReadyNAS Duo, since it can only combine drives using RAID 0, which isn't preferred since you lose all data if you lose one drive.
If I'm not mistaken, when the Duo is run in Flex-RAID mode, you have an option to request a single RAID 0 volume on each disk during system initialization within the first 10 minutes after performing a factory restore. So in a 2 drive configuration, you'll end up with 2 separate volumes, both of which can contain shares. Admittedly, Netgear calling it RAID 0 is somewhat confusing. Referring to it as individual disk mode or something similar would make more sense.

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=28502&p=157556

Last edited:
Thanks for that!

I'll take a look at some other Home Server devices and see what it would take to make my own.

However, should I decide not to go with a Home Server-based solution (or can't get hold of a suitable one), what do people think about a choice between the various models of ReadyNas, Synology and QNAP systems that I originally mentioned (given that it seems all of them will do what I need, even if they may be overkill)?

If I'm not mistaken, when the Duo is run in Flex-RAID mode, it will create a single RAID 0 volume on each disk during system initialization. So in a 2 drive configuration, you'll end up with 2 separate volumes, both of which can contain shares. Admittedly, Netgear calling it RAID 0 is somewhat confusing. Referring to it as individual disk mode or something similar would make more sense.

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=28502&p=157556

not correct. in flex-raid mode the duo creates a raid1 volume across both disks during setup.

you can then delete the raid1 volume manually and create either a raid0 volume spanning both disks (real raid0) or you can create two raid0 volumes consisting of one disk each (basically a raid0 with only 1 memberdisk).

not correct. in flex-raid mode the duo creates a raid1 volume across both disks during setup.

you can then delete the raid1 volume manually and create either a raid0 volume spanning both disks (real raid0) or you can create two raid0 volumes consisting of one disk each (basically a raid0 with only 1 memberdisk).
Thanks for the correction. Is that a new capability?

Thanks for the correction. Is that a new capability?

ya, i think they added that with 4.1.3 or 4.1.4. before that the only option you had was x-raid which by default runs as raid1 with 2 disks.

since either 4.1.3 or 4.1.4 you can also configure it for flexraid, which gives you the same options as on a nv+ or 1100. all you have to do is delete the default volume and create new volumes as you see fit.

the only thing it will never support, is true jbod (no readynas supports that).

Last edited:

yes you can select raid0 after system initialisation. i think by default if selects a raid1 with 2 disks and creates the volumes accordingly. you would have to delete the voluma in fronview manually and add raid0 volume(s).

you said it uses raid0 in flexraid-mode by default, which simply isnt true :)

edit: it might also be possible to select the raidlevel via raidar during the 10 minute interval described. but it would only offer raid 0 or 1 without regards to disks or volumes, so you will have to manually modify the volumes later anyway.

i would factory default the duo in our office to check it out, but i dont have the time for this right now :)

Last edited:
yes you can select raid0 after system initialisation. i think by default if selects a raid1 with 2 disks and creates the volumes accordingly. you would have to delete the voluma in fronview manually and add raid0 volume(s).

you said it uses raid0 in flexraid-mode by default, which simply isnt true :)

edit: it might also be possible to select the raidlevel via raidar during the 10 minute interval described. but it would only offer raid 0 or 1 without regards to disks or volumes, so you will have to manually modify the volumes later anyway.

i would factory default the duo in our office to check it out, but i dont have the time for this right now :)
I actually didn't say it used Flex-RAID by default, but rather that it defaulted to RAID 0 when Flex-RAID was used. That part was probably incorrect, as it most likely defaults to RAID 1 in that case. From the factory, the system does indeed come configured using X-RAID. Like you said though, playing around with these different scenarios is not exactly easy, as most of us don't have a spare Duo sitting around for testing. In either case, the process is not exactly easy to follow for most end users, but it can be done.

Last edited:
It's good to know that the possibility for the ReadyNAS to run in RAID 0 on 2 separate drives (effectively just giving access to each of the two drives is there).

Any thoughts on the merits of the Duo compared to the other options that I listed (the NV+ and 2 & 4 disk QNAP and Synology systems)?

Thanks,

Dan

It's good to know that the possibility for the ReadyNAS to run in RAID 0 on 2 separate drives (effectively just giving access to each of the two drives is there).

Any thoughts on the merits of the Duo compared to the other options that I listed (the NV+ and 2 & 4 disk QNAP and Synology systems)?

Thanks,

Dan
I'm partial to the Netgear line in general, as their support staff and community is stellar. The Duo and the NV+ should perform about the same, given they use similar hardware. You might also consider the warranty period on the model you choose. The Duo includes a 3 year warranty, and the NV+ a 5 year. I've never used a QNAP or Synology unit, so I can't comment on those.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!