What's new

Memory Problem ASUS AC86

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptainSTX

Part of the Furniture
I am having a problem resetting and clearing memory.

Yesterday we had a two hour power outage. When my AC86 came back on line I noticed neither my VPN client or VPN server were working. I could not get them to start even if I reentered the settings or setup clients I had never used. Logs really didn't have any useful information.

May 28 16:35:45 rc_service: httpd 817:notify_rc start_vpnclient5
May 28 16:35:45 rc_service: waitting "resetdefault_erase" via httpd ...
May 28 16:36:00 rc_service: skip the event: start_vpnclient5.

Tried to do a factory reset including clearing the settings on the router using either the software or the button. It went through the motions but after restarting it still had all the settings prior to the reset.

Finally I put it into recovery mode, reloaded Merlin 11_2, did a reset then restored the configuration file. VPN still didn't work. Tried several times.

Put it in recovery mode again and tried to revert to prior version of Merlin. After reboot still showing 11_2.

Have tried several commands to reset NVRAM however including "mtd-erase2 nvram" which apparently wasn't found in entware or other packages I am running.

On the few occasions I have gotten back to a supposedly factory fresh router I haven't tried minimal setup yet because I'm not sure router's memory is totally clean.

Any suggestions on how to tame this stubborn router?

It is functioning better but still has issues. The VPN clients are functioning and stable.

1. If I try to reboot using the GUI it goes through the motion but it really doesn't seem to have done anything. If I log in with SSH session I can reboot from there.

2. If I change a WiFi setting it turns off both radios. If I go into the GUI the software switches both show the radios are enabled. The switch on the router's case doesn't seem to be able to enable WiFI. It takes a power cycle or two of the router to turn the radios back on.

3. I have had issues getting AMTM to work and scripts such as Skynet, , entware, connmon and spdmerlin don't always survive a reboot. Currently Skynet isn't functioning and It doesn't give me an option to reinstall it. Before the crash/failure everything was working perfectly. I have tried three different USB drives. The SWAP file also disappears and while it is on currently in 24 hours not a single bit of data has been written to it.

4. The GUI option to do a factory reset doesn't seem to be working as once the router gets into a bad state the router reboots with all the settings inplace.

What I have to do is put the router into the recovery mode then reload the firmware, do a factory reset clearing all settings, and then reenter my settings. This is a royal PITA.

I am getting ready to contact ASUS as see if they have any suggestions and if they don't request a RMA.

Please take this for what it's worth (or not).

I've had similar issues with an AC3100. Even after doing firmware reloads and nvram erase and GUI resets it seemed as though there were some settings that never cleared. After one reset it actually connected to the main router (also a AC3100) via wireless backhaul. I did at one point in time have it configured in AiMesh mode.

Anyway, I went back to the "patience mode" of DD-WRT (30-30-30 type stuff). ALSO, I was alarmed to see that the Samba, USB share, and Media servers were enabled by default. Didn't they always used to be disabled by default?

I put the device into recovery mode, flashed a previous version of the stock firmware, let it sit while I did other things, disabled all the above mentioned servers and other best practice settings, let things settle, did SSH and "nvram erase", let it settle, reboot, settle, GUI reset, settle, ... Anyway, you get the picture. Took the better part of Thursday but since then both radios appear stable and the router appears to be functioning normally.

I unfortunately did NOT dump the contents of NVRAM before beginning all this to see if there were "stuck setting" or a reduction in consumption.

BTW - the router was actually "ignoring" CLI reboot commands at one point in time. I know, I know, can't happen right :)

Sorry if I just wasted your time but though I'd share :)

It is functioning better but still has issues. The VPN clients are functioning and stable.

1. If I try to reboot using the GUI it goes through the motion but it really doesn't seem to have done anything. If I log in with SSH session I can reboot from there.

2. If I change a WiFi setting it turns off both radios. If I go into the GUI the software switches both show the radios are enabled. The switch on the router's case doesn't seem to be able to enable WiFI. It takes a power cycle or two of the router to turn the radios back on.

3. I have had issues getting AMTM to work and scripts such as Skynet, , entware, connmon and spdmerlin don't always survive a reboot. Currently Skynet isn't functioning and It doesn't give me an option to reinstall it. Before the crash/failure everything was working perfectly. I have tried three different USB drives. The SWAP file also disappears and while it is on currently in 24 hours not a single bit of data has been written to it.

4. The GUI option to do a factory reset doesn't seem to be working as once the router gets into a bad state the router reboots with all the settings inplace.

What I have to do is put the router into the recovery mode then reload the firmware, do a factory reset clearing all settings, and then reenter my settings. This is a royal PITA.

I am getting ready to contact ASUS as see if they have any suggestions and if they don't request a RMA.

Last edited:
Thankfully, any problems thrown up by my RT-AC68U were of my own making and nothing even remotely like the sort being described here. Posts above reminds me of the instructions in L&LD’s guide for when the factory reset is not as effective as it should be:

Flash new (or existing) firmware.
  • Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).
  • Reset to factory defaults via the gui.
  • After the router has rebooted (point above), do a hard reboot (pull the power plug), wait a couple of minutes and then power it up again.”
Without wanting to sound condescending, have you tried meticulously following L&LD’s guide - the result of his experience of all Asus routers, both his own and his customers’, including those models that are nothing like as well behaved as mine?

That's why I mentioned returning to 30-30-30 type resets. Been at this a long time since the RT-N16 days with DD-WRT! :)

Thankfully, any problems thrown up by my RT-AC68U were of my own making and nothing even remotely like the sort being described here. Posts above reminds me of the instructions in L&LD’s guide for when the factory reset is not as effective as it should be:

Flash new (or existing) firmware.
  • Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).
  • Reset to factory defaults via the gui.
  • After the router has rebooted (point above), do a hard reboot (pull the power plug), wait a couple of minutes and then power it up again.”
Without wanting to sound condescending, have you tried meticulously following L&LD’s guide - the result of his experience of all Asus routers, both his own and his customers’, including those models that are nothing like as well behaved as mine?

I understand but all else had failed and you'll note I said "30-30-30 type". And that statement from Merlin is "from what I've gathered" and not a definitive. He provides a valid reason but another reason as I recall was to allow the complete creation of the baseline data in NVRAM from a "clean load and boot" and it seems to have served a purpose in my case THIS TIME. Patience/diligence is always a good thing regardless.

Anyway, I was just trying to help you. Like I said in my initial statement "take it for what it's worth (or not)". If you've got things straightened out, all the better.

But the 30/30/30 is frequently advised against on this forum eg by Merlin himself. Not necessarily that it does harm, but that it serves no purpose.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/30-30-30-resets-voodoo-or-real.26534/#post-198987

I understand but all else had failed and you'll note I said "30-30-30 type". And that statement from Merlin is "from what I've gathered" and not a definitive. He provides a valid reason but another reason as I recall was to allow the complete creation of the baseline data in NVRAM from a "clean load and boot" and it seems to have served a purpose in my case THIS TIME. Patience/diligence is always a good thing regardless.

Anyway, I was just trying to help you. Like I said in my initial statement "take it for what it's worth (or not)". If you've got things straightened out, all the better.
Sure, and if it, or a variant, works as part of your technique, that’s all that matters.

I have flashed both 9_0 and 11_2 more than a few times trying to clean the problems up and will probably do so at least once more.

The thing that is interesting is how much longer it it takes for 11_2 to load and recover than 9_0.

The router is functioning OK except for maybe the WiFi radios turning off and if I can live without Skynet then everything is working. Problem originally happened went something went wrong with Entware and that somehow caused issues with iptables which caused VPN client and Server to not work.

The dreaded domino effect, and before you blink everything’s going wrong and you’re having to do a factory reset for something you’re convinced should have been a simple tweak.
Boy this sounds familiar...LOL

The dreaded domino effect, and before you blink everything’s going wrong and you’re having to do a factory reset for something you’re convinced should have been a simple tweak.

Yeah it would be a PITA but even numerous factory resets haven't fixed all the issues.

Can't get the VPN Server to start the wheel just spins and spins and the log doesn't give any information. If I can't get the VPN server working the router has to be replaced.

Yeah it would be a PITA but even numerous factory resets haven't fixed all the issues.

Can't get the VPN Server to start the wheel just spins and spins and the log doesn't give any information. If I can't get the VPN server working the router has to be replaced.
I know it sounds an insulting question, but you were connected to the Internet when you turned on the vpn server? You get that behaviour if there’s no Internet connection.

I know it sounds an insulting question, but you were connected to the Internet when you turned on the vpn server? You get that behaviour if there’s no Internet connection.
Yes I was connected to the Internet. Had no problems previously with either sever, client or other scripts until router went to the dark side after crashing.

Hi, i am trying to turn off my vpn and it won't do it. i am getting the following:
Nov 12 09:53:12 rc_service: skip the event: stop_vpnclient3.
Nov 12 09:54:00 rc_service: service 15870:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Nov 12 09:54:00 rc_service: waitting "restart_letsencrypt" via ...
Nov 12 09:54:15 rc_service: skip the event: restart_letsencrypt.

It’s weird, after I reboot the router it will function correctly and will turn on and off the vpn clients. After few hours /day that it’s running then I can’t disable or enable any of the clients.

It's there for even not published routers like RT-AX89X :p:p:p

https://www.router-reset.com/reset-manuals/ASUS/RT-AX89X

upload_2019-11-13_19-2-36.png

Stay happy they realized the earth to be round before internet started!
Otherwise you would find million of pages telling you its flat and as many reasons for it ...
This aren't fake news, only alternative facts or 'DT'-news.

You cant fight against zombies!

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!