What's new

Merlin AdGuard Home problem...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PxP

Occasional Visitor
I`ve had Adguard Home on Raspberry Pi 4 for some time and all worked OK except for obvious reasons I could see what was queried but not which local client did...
I had a lot of queries (probably dahua IP Cams) + some others...
To ID exactly which local clients hammered DNS I`ve just installed AdGuard Home on my AX86u router.
At first glance all seemed to work as it should (lots of queries from PCs, smartphones, etc.) but...
...queries that were on top of the list in AGH on Raspberry Pi...

devaccess.easy4ipcloud.com (tens of thousands a day - every day)
+
ip-api.com (few thousands a day)

...are nowhere to be seen in AGH on Merlin logs - nor in "Top queried domains",
nor "Top blocked domains".
In "AGH">"Settings">"Client settings">"Runtime clients" I can see now
all LAN connected machines with each "Request count".
All IP cams on that list seem 100% silent (not even one query) - which of coz is not possible.

Question:
Why it is so...?
Where is the "leak" and why it did not "leaked" with AGH on Raspberry Pi (both arm64)?

???

I`ve had Adguard Home on Raspberry Pi 4 for some time and all worked OK except for obvious reasons I could see what was queried but not which local client did...
I had a lot of queries (probably dahua IP Cams) + some others...
To ID exactly which local clients hammered DNS I`ve just installed AdGuard Home on my AX86u router.
At first glance all seemed to work as it should (lots of queries from PCs, smartphones, etc.) but...
...queries that were on top of the list in AGH on Raspberry Pi...

devaccess.easy4ipcloud.com (tens of thousands a day - every day)
+
ip-api.com (few thousands a day)

...are nowhere to be seen in AGH on Merlin logs - nor in "Top queried domains",
nor "Top blocked domains".
In "AGH">"Settings">"Client settings">"Runtime clients" I can see now
all LAN connected machines with each "Request count".
All IP cams on that list seem 100% silent (not even one query) - which of coz is not possible.

Question:
Why it is so...?
Where is the "leak" and why it did not "leaked" with AGH on Raspberry Pi (both arm64)?

???
Why can’t you see client requests from the Pi AGH? You just need to add the Pi AGH IP to the LAN DNS IP and you’ll start seeing individual client queries.

Are you running both instances still - ASUS and Pi? You need to stop one of them and only run one instance.

Hello.
Of course one AGH instance (ASUS Merlin) - not much sense to have two on same LAN anyway :)
I`m seeing individual client queries now on Merlin AGH, just for some reason some "high freqency" ones
that were seen on Raspberry Pi 4 AGH (devaccess.easy4ipcloud.com + ip-api.com) for weeks - are not there anymore.
I doubt they dissapeared today just like that exactly when I changed AGH host.
It was sole reason that I`ve moved from Pi hardware to ASUS hardware - to pinpoint from which LAN clients these request are/were coming from
cause it`s now possible when AGH is directly on router.

Do you have DNS Director turned on and global set to router? This should force all clients to use AGH...

Yes - DNS Director Global setting --> Router.
Just tried it with custom setting pointing to router IP.
No difference - as expected.

All things considered - I`ll leave it as is.
Problem is not a problem when you can`t see it ;-)

Regards!