What's new

Merlin Firmware Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wojowojo16

Occasional Visitor
Hey Guys, first off this is NOT a bashing threat at all, not even a little bit.

I have an RT-AC87R (or U, not at home so don't remember but its the one supported) and I've been running merlin firmware on it since I got the router.

I'm a HUGE merlin fan and the firmware has been rock solid - honestly can't think of any issues until recently.

It seems like the last few releases my router was just not performing well, needed daily (if not more) reboots, etc.

I have factory reset it, I have reflashed it, I've started from scratch, no fixes.

I just went back to the latest ASUS delivered firmware and its been fine.

As for what issues I was having.
1 - Streaming from PLEX/TABLO/HDHOMERUN etc in house was less than stellar.
2 - Speedtest.net would be slow especially further away from router. I know this is expected but as an example, I have 75/75, next to router I would get 80/80ish, a ways away I'd get 50/50 ish, my bedroom I'd get 15/15ish. I"ll describe more below but went back to ASUS firmware and I'm getting 50/50ish in bedroom at same spot.
3 - Youtube/Facebook videos would constantly lock up or play "slow".

A reboot of the router would correct the problem until then next day.

I Finally gave up and just to see flashed the ASUS firmware on the device and its been rock solid since. Everything I described above is now working fine. I don't like the firmware near as much though. Static leases suck and I can't sort. OpenVPN works but I Don't like implementation, etc....

I'm at a loss honestly. I Don't think its hardware. I Don't think its my implementation of the Merlin Firmware as I've done EVERYTHING I know to do (the main one being starting with a 100% clean slate) to get it to work.

Any thoughts?

-JOE

The whole 5 GHz wireless code is one large self-contained firmware within a single file, so wifi performance between Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin on the RT-AC87U will be 100% identical. If you get different results, then something else must be enabled on your router that impacts overall performance.

You could, I suppose, further troubleshoot to see if the wireless is implicated in any way by shutting down, in turn, each of the bands, 2.5GHz and 5GHz, and seeing if the absence of one of the wireless transmissions improves matters.

I don't suppose cpu usages show any difference when it slows down?

None of this would solve your problem, though, merely confirm the symptoms, which you have described so well.

Last edited:
I would start with the most basic of setup:

1) Factory default reset
2) Remove any USB disk
3) Configure only WAN and Wifi
4) Run some tests

If it goes well, then start enabling/configuring other settings one by one, until you can isolate a specific setting that's not working well for you.

I would start with the most basic of setup:

1) Factory default reset
2) Remove any USB disk
3) Configure only WAN and Wifi
4) Run some tests

If it goes well, then start enabling/configuring other settings one by one, until you can isolate a specific setting that's not working well for you.

Thanks I'll give it a shot this weekend....new house, new job, wife started teaching again and youngest started kindergarten...things have been crazy crazy crazy hectic the last 6 weeks...