What's new

Merlin - guest wifi vs let friends join the normal wifi - need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JarleH

Regular Contributor
I have never really bothered with setting up a own guest wifi, the few that I give access get access to the normal main wifi net.
But I would like to change this, and I am wondering what is 'best practice' for this?
And is it truly much more secure in reference to viruses etc that guest may have on laptops or phones?

Since I have used Merlin for a few years, I am asking here.

You're attempting it and you're stuck? Or, you haven't tried yet? :D

You're attempting it and you're stuck? Or, you haven't tried yet? :D

No tried, was thinking of a best practice for a setup without installing more on the router except the firmware.

'Best practice' and 'without installing more on the router' are mutually exclusive.

This forum, RMerlin firmware, amtm, and all the scriptwriters here, and all their contributions are not here because they're re-inventing the wheel. They're here because the firmware's 'wheel' is square. :)

That was a biiiiiiiiit complicated setup :)
Was hoping for something a bit more standard, and some advice on why I should have dedicated guest network (for safety reasons).
you don't need amtm or yazfi. just click on the "guest network" button on the router main page. enable one of the slots and make sure to pick a wireless password that is not the same as your main wifi. this way you don't have to give your main password and you can change the guest password often. yazfi just gives you a few ohter config options, but you don't absolutely need it.

But I would like to change this, and I am wondering what is 'best practice' for this?
And is it truly much more secure in reference to viruses etc that guest may have on laptops or phones?

Have kids? Do they drive? Do their friends come over, your kids ask for the wifi password for them? So they can park on the street, access your wifi, download all sorts of content? Just ask my neighbor that gave my 'teener their wifi password because I was locking hours and content down.

I run an IOT Guest network without local network access that stays on always and a true visitor Guest that I only turn on when guests are visiting. As Ugandy states, can be handled easily with the existing Guest setup in Merlin and Official. YazFi is great, builds on the built-in Guest. But you don't need it to set up a basic Guest network for... guests.

funny, something similar happened to me. neighbor kids come over, give them main wifi password. they put it in on the ipad, and after they would connect to my wifi across the street. no problem, change my wifi password. bummer, need to re configure all the IOT. with a guest wifi it's easier to shuffle the guest password as needed and leave my main wifi alone :) get off my grass!

I asked because I simply have never set up a dedicated guest wifi net. Reason for me to do so if it makes the rest of our net more secure from viruses etc. And I also do not want my guests to be able to get access to my local network.

Totally agree with @ugandy , just setup a regular guest network with a different password and "Access Intranet" disabled. Yes, it will make your network more protected from viruses.

As you have already given out your main WiFi password to your friends it's likely that their devices have stored that password and will automatically use it when they visit you. Rather that asking all your friends to delete that password from all their devices, and trust they do it, it would be best if you create a brand new password for your main WiFi.

Last edited: