What's new

Merlin not installed after flashing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyborg

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I recently came across this firmware and though about giving it a try.
Says it should be really easy to install .. ok that's what I thought at least.

Info:
Router: Asus RT-N66U
Current Asus Firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_8120
Merlin Firmware I tried: 380.68_4

When I upload the firmware, it says successful, I pull the plug and restart it and voilá are presented again with the original Asus firmware. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have anything, in the USB ports on the router, even just a 5V usb power take-off? If so, get rid whilst you flash.

Do you have anything, in the USB ports on the router, even just a 5V usb power take-off? If so, get rid whilst you flash.
And reboot without USB devices attached - then flash - typically memory shortage is causing this. Of course re-check if you have downloaded the right version for your router N66U (not AC66U)... :rolleyes:

In some rare cases you need to factory reset the router (Menu Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting - Factory default), then do a minimal config and flash then the new firmware - you can save the config with John's backup tool and restore it from USB after the update (and again factory reset with then new firmware).

Last edited:
Worked fine for me with the same router. I did however remove my USB disk from the router after I've installed the firmware and before I manually reset the router by using the reset button on the device. Moved from 378.56_2 to 380.68_4 and works great!

Thanks for your help guys, it finally worked.
For everyone who is encountering the same problem.

What I tried before it worked:

- No USB attached anyway, so I tried to unplug the modem and NAS => no success
- I did a factory reset, minimal config, flashing again => no success
- Flashing 3 times in a row => no success

So what was the mistake? Seems the router needed more time to handle the new flashed firmware than expected. Normally, a few seconds to minutes after it said "Flash successful" I manually restarted the router.
Then I thought, maybe the router needs some more time and I waited around 10 minutes after it said the flash was successful and then I restarted it => success! :)

Thanks again guys, the firmware is really awesome!

The RT-N66U has fairly slow flash - give it up to 5 minutes for a flash procedure to complete.