What's new

Merlin (possible Asus) Ipv6 bug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Facsi

Occasional Visitor
Hi All.

I was working on my 68U, learning about IPV6 to try to give some bananas to my ISP that uses CGNAT. (lol, translated joke)

Im running merlin 386.4 on a dual stack network. And as I said, my IPv4 is running under CGNAT and I cannot do much about it for servers. Bad ISP, cannot change this.
I started working to solve this issue by using IPv6. And i could manage to solve it.
But it was very annoying for me to find a way around to fix it. In the way I think I have found a bug either in merlin or asus (idk, i only use merlin).
So, I will leave to the pros here to verify if it is indeed a bug or not:

1- I have configured my router to perform my custom ipv6 DDNS updates. Which worked fine.
2- I have set the built-in FTP server on configuration pages and I was able to use this FTP server externally.
3- Moving forward to enable this for my lighttpd server and it was not working. I couldnt manage to make it work with ipv6 at first.
4- I tried the built in Asus Configuration setting to allow access for the configuration webpage externally and it also didnt work.
5- Same for VPN: PPTP, OpenVPN, none worked.

Only the built-in FTP server was able to be reached from outside.
I did a lot of tests on https://dnschecker.org/ and the only open port was 21 from FTP.

After a little digging i found out that the problem was that the config webpage was not setting the IPv6 rules for the configuration pages to be accessed from outside...
I setup the ipv6 rules for my webpage and it worked. And I understand that this might have to be performed by the user, however this is a very not-user friendly task to the end-user. Actually I dont even know if the firewall menus are performing correctly.
It probably should be set by the user for the services, but for the built in services it should be set automatically like the FTP server.

Well, thats all. I have my servers working now.

thanks