What's new

Merlin version for RT-AX56U? Original firmware is 3.0.0.4.386_49380

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crossbar

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking for the installation file for Asus Merlin here:

A few stupid questions:

1. I choose Release instead of Beta, correct?

2. When checking router.asus.com for the latest firmware, I have the latest: 3.0.0.4.386_49380.
Which .zip file in the list do I download to match the original firmware? The one called RT-AX56U_386.4_0.zip?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes
2. You don't "match" the original firmware. The latest Merlin firmware is 386.7_2.

1. Yes
2. You don't "match" the original firmware. The latest Merlin firmware is 386.7_2.

Thanks Colin.

Welcome to the forums @crossbar.

1. Yes, choose the Release folder.

2. You don't match what the stock firmware is. RMerlin firmware replaces the stock firmware.

The file you want is https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX56U/Release/RT-AX56U_386.7_2.zip/download

Be sure you do a full reset to factory defaults after you flash the firmware you want to use.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.
Not sure I follow the full reset thing. Do I reset the router to factory default after I install the merlin software?

Actually what I did before I joined this forum, I did a factory reset as usual, then I set up everything at router.asus.com from the beginning, and in one step I was asked to upgrade to the latest official firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_49380, which I did. And now I'm here.

You're welcome.

And yes, reset fully, after you flash the firmware, you want to use.

Right now, you've done it backward. But that may work, for a while. :)

You're welcome.

And yes, reset fully, after you flash the firmware, you want to use.

Right now, you've done it backward. But that may work, for a while. :)

Can I ask why we want to make a factory reset after merlin installation, what is the reason? Sounds like we won't be able to go back to factory reset with original firmware even if we wanted to, in the future?

A factory reset doesn't put the firmware the router shipped with back on it.

What it does is it allows the currently installed firmware to use the defaults and variables it expects. And not be mixing up old/obsolete defaults/variables from the previously installed/flashed firmware(s).

And yes, some firmware does limit if you can flash an older firmware on the router, afterwards. Be sure to read release notes fully!

A factory reset doesn't put the firmware the router shipped with back on it.

What it does is it allows the currently installed firmware to use the defaults and variables it expects. And not be mixing up old/obsolete defaults/variables from the previously installed/flashed firmware(s).

And yes, some firmware does limit if you can flash an older firmware on the router, afterwards. Be sure to read release notes fully!

Hmm, okay.

So if I understand correcty: Let's say I buy RT-AX56U and config it for the first time, install it with original firmware shipped with it, firmware 1.0.0. When I then upgrade the original firmware at router.asus.com to 2.0.0, and then make a factory reset, it doesn't revert back back to original firmware 1.0.0, but it stays at 2.0.0? So this "factory reset" isn't necessary an actual factory reset, more of a clearing out old/obsolete configurations?

I'm really new to this so sorry if I struggle to understand.
In the readme-file for Merlin firmware is 386.7_2, it says:

Simply flash it like any regular update. You should not need to
reset to factory defaults (see note below for exceptions).
You can revert back to an original Asus firmware at any time just
by flashing a firmware downloaded from Asus's website.

If the firmware upgrade fails, try rebooting your router to free
up sufficient memory, without any USB disk plugged in,
then try flashing it again.

NOTE: resetting to factory default after flashing is
strongly recommended for the following cases:

- Updating from a firmware version that is more than 3 releases older

- Switching from a Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT firmware

None of it makes sense to me, unfortunately.

None of it makes sense to me, unfortunately.

Install the firmware, reset the firmware to its default settings, and then configure it from scratch.

Later you can update/flash the firmware to newer firmware and keep on running. But if weird issues arise, you may need to reset the firmware to its default settings, and then configure it from scratch.

The default settings come with the firmware, but they are not configured as such until the firmware is reset, which also wipes out user settings and the entire current configuration.

Forget the unfortunate term factory defaults.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

OE

Last edited:
@crossbar, yes, correct. It will not put your example back to firmware 1.0. It will stay at the firmware level it is flashed to (version 2.0 in your example). And will allow the v2.0 firmware to use the expected defaults the new firmware is looking for.

Note this doesn't hurt the router in any way. What it does do is give you the confidence that you're actually testing the new features/fixes the new firmware may offer. Rather than any interference/incompatibilities, the old settings may cause (due to different approaches to doing the same thing, better, at the routing and/or wired/wireless level).

For example, Option 'A' in the old firmware may default to 'off', but the new firmware requires it 'on'. Note that this setting may not be visible as a togglable option in the GUI, either. The change may be for performance reasons, security reasons, or a change to accommodate new hardware coming soon. In any case, performing a Hard Reset as I provided in the link above will give the router the best chance to perform as it was designed to (with the new firmware that was just installed). A final note, when I say 'new' firmware here, it could also be when the router is flashed to older firmware too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!