What's new

Mesh options for RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Farness

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone.

Have an RT-AX88U, very happy with it but due to its (unfortunately necessarily) poor location I have a couple of dead spots in the house so am looking at Mesh options.

The RP-AX56 looks quite good, does anyone have this combination working well and can recommend it? I've also seen the RP-AX58 on the Asus website but it doesn't look to be available yet.

Any feedback/advice appreciated.

Thanks

I would not recommend any repeater.

The minimum I would pair the main router you have with is the RT-AX68U. The next step up would be the RT-AX86U (or the 's' model if it is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper).

Of course, if you did go for the RT-AX86U, I would also suggest it becomes the main router in your network (and the inferior RT-AX88U the AiMesh node).

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

Yes ideally I'd just place another Mesh Router but its going to be cost (and aesthetically) prohibitive, apologies I should have mentioned budget.

I currently have a D-Link DAP 1650 repeater servicing the dead area but it's a bit hit and miss and a pain for the requirement of changing networks.

I was hoping an Asus AiMesh capable repeater would give better coverage/reliability and allow ease of movement in the house.

Cheers

You can but my understanding is that the device does not automatically select the network as generated by the repeater. I read that was one of the strengths of the mesh, it expands the existing network that allows dynamic node selection by the device as opposed to generating an extension of it.

Ok, so the message I am getting is if I want to get the benefit of a mesh setup, I need to build a mesh network comprised of mesh routers, not 1 mesh router and mesh extenders which is not much different than what I have now.

Thanks for the Repeater suggestion, it was the one I called out in the first post.

Ok, so the message I am getting is if I want to get the benefit of a mesh setup, I need to build a mesh network comprised of mesh routers, not 1 mesh router and mesh extenders which is not much different than what I have now.

You read a lot of advertisements. AiMesh is a firmware option on Asus routers for somewhat central management of other Asus AiMesh compatible routers and extenders working as wired access points or wireless repeaters. It has very limited control over where the clients connect. In theory all AiMesh compatible devices can work together, but reality is different. AiMesh works best with identical routers and wired backhaul. In this case the clients don't have preferred router to connect to and chances for more adequate roaming are better. There is no "seamless" roaming in any AiMesh configuration. It's actually behind in stability and roaming even from other consumer "mesh" systems like Orbi and eero.

You already have a repeater. Play with it and see how the setup can be improved. Move it to another place, use the same SSID. If you want this repeater to be visible in your main router's GUI - replace it with an Asus AiMesh compatible one, router or repeater. The final user experience will be probably the same. The cheapest Asus router with AiMesh support is perhaps RT-AX1800S, next comes RT-AX55. The best match for your AX88U is another AX88U.

I think RP-AX58 should be available in Feb or Mar since the ASUS website has already launched it.
Maybe wait a while for the latest one?

Yes Amazon already has them listed although Out of Stock so they are not quite ready yet. If I were to get something I'd wait for them.

I think RP-AX58 should be available in Feb or Mar since the ASUS website has already launched it.
Maybe wait a while for the latest one?

Hi everyone.

Have an RT-AX88U, very happy with it but due to its (unfortunately necessarily) poor location I have a couple of dead spots in the house so am looking at Mesh options.

The RP-AX56 looks quite good, does anyone have this combination working well and can recommend it? I've also seen the RP-AX58 on the Asus website but it doesn't look to be available yet.

Any feedback/advice appreciated.

Thanks
As a fyi, I live in a 3 story old Apt building with no real option to have the Inet come in anywhere but the ground floor. Inet on fl2 and fl3 was previously very spotty using a variety of router/access point solutions.

Good news is that I now have an ASUS RT-AX88U in AImesh mode and two RP-AX56 AIMesh nodes - one each on FL2 and FL3.

After a bit of tuning, I now have this config working very well with excellent stability. In addition, using one of the many available cell phone Wireless Analyzer apps, I can use the same SSID and see my IP changing as I walk from the Gnd FL to the 3rd FL.

Quite happy with this config.

I can use the same SSID and see my IP changing as I walk from the Gnd FL to the 3rd FL.

Your IP doesn't change. Client IP is assigned by main router's DHCP server no matter what node you are connected to and it stays the same. Smart Connect is convenient for some, but may cause issues with specific clients (mostly IoT) and doesn't allow separation of clients the way user wants.

oops .. you are correct i.e. the IP does not change. What changes is the device where the IP is managed changes from one device to another.

While certainly not an exact science, you can customize each environment to better fit the local conditions. As an example, with changes on the AX88U, you can also "tweak" the points in the AImesh whereby the device managing the IP changes and whether the device chooses 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

This link was helpful in the tuning:

To clarify - Being new to the forum, my reply was meant to respond to the original post from Fairness regarding experience with AX88U and AIMesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!