What's new

Mesh or second router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Candurin

Occasional Visitor
Just wanted to get everyone’s opinion.

I still have a need to get WiFi to the far side of our house (garage, actually) so that I can have a signal in our side yard. This area is 85’ from our router and through significant concrete block and walls.

I can run a cable, so that’s not an issue and this router would solely be for that yard area (we’re finally putting in a pool).

Would you all consider upgrading to an Orbi Mesh at this point or just at a second router in AP mode? I want to make sure that I have a single, seamless SSID and my devices switch without issue. Costco currently has the RBK753 (AX4200 with 3 satellites) for $440. Sadly, no Voxel firmware on that.

If you recommend a router as an AP point, which one? It would be connected to my “Voxel powered” R7800.

Thanks, as always, for the advice!

If you can get a second R7800, that is what I would use in AP mode.

I was hoping to stay with Netgear. Any reason for the Linksys suggestion?
Well its the latest and greatest Wifi6 system I know of.

I'm using them without issue and they have exceeded my expectations for speed, range and stability.

if this helps chadster766 is a guru and his suggestion can be taken as scripture. L&LD is also well informed and doesn't make wild suggestions. I'm using a r7800 with a Linksys as an extender, wirelessly, and both work fine. 85' is quite a haul thru walls to try and run a wireless signal, possibly requiring another AP to help. Just some input hope it helps.

Thanks for all the input. I’ll be running an Ethernet cable the full run. I already have conduit in the sub-space and wall.

I might stick with another 7800 for the time being until we get more WiFi 6 devices (besides our iPhones).

Got the 7800 off ebay (still wrapped, $80!) and set it up. Loaded Voxel and works perfect.
LOL!
Literally just did the same thing last week (EBAY, wrapped, $85, Voxel). Works perfect as new AP.
Was already a great router, amazing for the price you can get them now.

I’m curious, how do you set the send (ap) router with a static ip in order to access the router from any device? I tried to set it as a static ip using lan setup > static route from the main router but it doesn’t seem to take?

it works if I look up the AP in the “attached devices” list on the main router and use that IP address to access it, but, access I would prefer if the AP always had the same address.

Or ... you could hardwire a device such as the ol' Netgear 6150 to your router for garage / side-yard access?
1598604524507.png
It's cheap (as compared to using mesh or a router), doesn't take up much space and is easy to set up. It will allow you to use up to two existing SSIDs but, using hardwire, will not allow you to isolate "guests" from your local LAN.

Last edited:
I’m curious, how do you set the send (ap) router with a static ip in order to access the router from any device? I tried to set it as a static ip using lan setup > static route from the main router but it doesn’t seem to take?

it works if I look up the AP in the “attached devices” list on the main router and use that IP address to access it, but, access I would prefer if the AP always had the same address.
I set the router into AP mode. When you do that you can set the router's ip as dynamic or static (I used static) and hit apply.
With the fixed ip I can always reach the router web gui directly. I think that's what you want?

P.S. There are other threads here which show using the WAN port in AP mode is broken internally by NG, so use one of the LAN ports and it works fine.
That's what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Or ... you could hardwire a device such as the ol' Netgear 6150 to your router for garage / side-yard access?
View attachment 25824
It's cheap (as compared to using mesh or a router), doesn't take up much space and is easy to set up. It will allow you to use up to two existing SSIDs but, using hardwire, will not allow you to isolate "guests" from your local LAN.
In July my home was hit by lightning and a number of things including my R7800 were zapped.
Using TFTP I was able to recover my R7800 and get back up and running eventually.
Now I like the idea of having a second R7800 already in my house as a backup should the first one stop working for any reason,
but I'm not just leaving it in a closet collecting dust.

I set the router into AP mode. When you do that you can set the router's ip as dynamic or static (I used static) and hit apply.
With the fixed ip I can always reach the router web gui directly. I think that's what you want?

P.S. There are other threads here which show using the WAN port in AP mode is broken internally by NG, so use one of the LAN ports and it works fine.
That's what I'm doing.

That is what I am trying to do.

Odd... I'm using the WAN port to connect my R7800 "router" to R7800 "AP" and it is working. It seems as though I cannot get the AP R7800 in static mode. It does not appear to keep the setting. I'll keep at it.

That is what I am trying to do.

Odd... I'm using the WAN port to connect my R7800 "router" to R7800 "AP" and it is working. It seems as though I cannot get the AP R7800 in static mode. It does not appear to keep the setting. I'll keep at it.
I was having intermittent WI-Fi issues with clients which attached to the AP when it was connected to WAN, they occasionally showed wi-fi connected but had no access to internet.
Switched to a LAN port and this went away.

Some observations. Static IP of AP is now working. What I noticed is that if I connect router lan > AP lan, the AP disappears from device list on the router. When I connect router lan to AP WAN, everything is functioning perfectly (both devices running latest Voxel).

I’m glad to say, I now have over 200mb/s out by our shed (router is in garage and shed is about 100’ from garage), so we have full side yard coverage when then pool gets installed in 2 weeks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!