What's new

Mesh Solution with working Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

meekgeek1

Occasional Visitor
Currently using Asus RT-AC68U as main router (radio turned off to lower temps since it's in the bomb shelter) and hardcabled to several Access Points (RT-AC1200Gx2, RT-AC87, another RT-AC68 all in AP mode).

Use case:
Upgrade to a wifi Mesh system that supports Guest Network (users on guest SSID isolated from main network).
Better coverage/no connect reconnect when roaming between access points. Easier user admin.

Guest network is a key requirement. Current setup has only AP RT-AC87 & AP RT-AC68 broadcasting guest network SSID. Guest network isolation only works properly if you run a specific script on Merlin firmware. Seems pervasive across all Asus Access Points (or routers in AP mode).

Options:
Option 1) Replace everything with a mesh router (main node) + satellites (secondary node)

Option 2) Keep main router. Replace all access points with mesh system capable APs.

Option1 is clearly more costly as I've to basically burn the Main node, main router has to be located inside a bomb shelter.
Option2 is best bang for buck i guess if I can get these dang things' Guest Networks to work properly in AP mode.

Choices:
1) Deco M9 3 pack
2) Orbi RBK53 (read that guest network still has bugs? this )
3) Orbi Pros (crazy exp but guest network works for sure)
4) Asus XT8 (Guest IS STILL NOT WORKING properly. my god what are you doing Asus)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/zenwifi-ax-firmware-bugs.63171/

Anyone has a similar deployment with choices above please do share.
Any ideas are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

I assume you already know but 1-3 consumer mesh lines won't provide you much customization option. With the budgets you have, I'd consider adding system like UniFi or other controller based AP network since you seem to have the capability and it allows you remotely access, guest network, and more robust options if you so desire.

I assume you already know but 1-3 consumer mesh lines won't provide you much customization option. With the budgets you have, I'd consider adding system like UniFi or other controller based AP network since you seem to have the capability and it allows you remotely access, guest network, and more robust options if you so desire.

Sadly, in a 1500sqft 2 storey apartment, enterprise gear is abit of an overkill.
have you see the size of an actual UAP-AP-PRO. It's so oddly shaped and frankly too large. the only place it belongs is mounted on a ceiling like a smoke detector.
rated speeds cant beat consumer gear also.

I mean come on, I cant be the only person needing a guest network for home use. hahaha

Sadly, in a 1500sqft 2 storey apartment, enterprise gear is abit of an overkill.
have you see the size of an actual UAP-AP-PRO. It's so oddly shaped and frankly too large. the only place it belongs is mounted on a ceiling like a smoke detector.
rated speeds cant beat consumer gear also.

I mean come on, I cant be the only person needing a guest network for home use. hahaha

Yeah it doesn't have to be UniFi. It worked well for myself but I know it won't for all. But as long as you've looked into those other potentials. Expensive, but I heard Ubiquiti Alien has same capability for creating multiple SSID on single unit as UniFi series. With 1500 sqft, you may just get by with a single router.

I used to own eero pro. They worked great for me and as I recall it had guest network though I didn’t use it. It says it will isolate the network completely. Link

I see some forum members talk about TP-Link Omada, which I personally have no experience but looks more cost friendly than UniFi.

As for UniFi, I won't recommend Pro anyways. For 1500 sqft, I'd consider either nanoHD, FlexHD, IW-HD or UDM.

Lastly, I’d be careful on specs. It depends on home construction to certain extent but I did extensive test at my home and for my case, Ax11000 AiMesh setup had inferior speed performance than UniFi Wi-Fi 5 only system (Ax11000 vs. UAP-AC-HD). This is due to the system efficiency difference despite both systems functioned within the expected range of performance for their spec. Also many routers numbers are sort of misadvertized due to aggregated bands, 160 MHz channel width assumption and 4x4 MIMO.l I.e. theoretical max speed is substantially lower.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I think the best guest network is when you create a separate VLAN for all the guests, You can share printers and stuff if you want. You get to control access for all the guests.

Yeah it doesn't have to be UniFi. It worked well for myself but I know it won't for all. But as long as you've looked into those other potentials. Expensive, but I heard Ubiquiti Alien has same capability for creating multiple SSID on single unit as UniFi series. With 1500 sqft, you may just get by with a single router.

I used to own eero pro. They worked great for me and as I recall it had guest network though I didn’t use it. It says it will isolate the network completely. Link

I see some forum members talk about TP-Link Omada, which I personally have no experience but looks more cost friendly than UniFi.

As for UniFi, I won't recommend Pro anyways. For 1500 sqft, I'd consider either nanoHD, FlexHD, IW-HD or UDM.

Lastly, I’d be careful on specs. It depends on home construction to certain extent but I did extensive test at my home and for my case, Ax11000 AiMesh setup had inferior speed performance than UniFi Wi-Fi 5 only system (Ax11000 vs. UAP-AC-HD). This is due to the system efficiency difference despite both systems functioned within the expected range of performance for their spec. Also many routers numbers are sort of misadvertized due to aggregated bands, 160 MHz channel width assumption and 4x4 MIMO.l I.e. theoretical max speed is substantially lower.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. Something to keep in mind about the marketing fluff.

My premises has a very strange layout. 2 floors, stairway, weird walkways, heavy wooden doors, giant outdoor balcony area and stuff.
Luckily most of my living areas have wired Lan. I've taken the lazy approach to juz blanket the place with lousy cheap APs.

I wonder which is better.
2x highend router (used in AP mode) (those spider like thingys nowadays) vs multiple cheap APs

Currently im blanketing the place with asus RTAC1200g+ APs. These things have really awful range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. Something to keep in mind about the marketing fluff.

My premises has a very strange layout. 2 floors, stairway, weird walkways, heavy wooden doors, giant outdoor balcony area and stuff.
Luckily most of my living areas have wired Lan. I've taken the lazy approach to juz blanket the place with lousy cheap APs.

I wonder which is better.
2x highend router (used in AP mode) (those spider like thingys nowadays) vs multiple cheap APs

Currently im blanketing the place with asus RTAC1200g+ APs. These things have really awful range.

For me AiMesh worked decently over a year but it was not a stable enough and guest network always limited to router unit only, and as I posted above speed tests result were inferior to UniFi system except Wi-Fi 6 client at next to router Unit. But using individual AP mode could have been different.

The pros and cons of two systems probably should be listed and see what is more important for you. I believe AP mode router systems generally have less seamless roaming experience but even with good AP system it has client dependency so it still won't be perfect but if I'd make sure your router/AP have an option for you to switch transmission power of units so you have control over 2G and 5G stickiness (if it's really bad). Having too many AP units can hurt performance so transmission power control help that.

This is purely my personal benefit but I like new techs and even though I forgave Wi-Fi 6 setup for my UniFi, I still miss the title of owning the latest tech. So I am still looking for Wi-Fi 6 upgrade whenever the tech matures. AP approach to me is conceptually and financially easier and I usually like visual of dedicated AP over routers (less presence is better for me).

In general, most believe is probably good/high performance router would have better coverage than standalone AP but cost difference would compensate it in the worst case scenario. But in reality, I didn't notice much difference in coverage. (Practically, 2 UniFi covered better than 4 AiMesh for my home but it's because 2.4 GHz working better with UniFi so it is not necessary twice coverage).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!