What's new

Mesh vs Access Point wifi performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Symbo2020

New Around Here
Hi,
I'm looking to update my wifi network and I'm trying to understand the performance differences between mesh (eero, Orbi etc) and AP based solutions. All the comparisons I can find are between different mesh systems OR different AP systems. No one appears to have compared the two different approaches. What, for example, is the coverage and throughput of a two node Netgear Orbi (RBK50) solution and one with 2 Netgear AP's? Just using Netgear as an example, other makes are available.

When I look at the throughput and attenuation graphs in the individual reviews done by SNB (Great work by the way) it looks like the better mesh systems wipe the floor with AP's. They offer greater throughput that's sustained as attenuation increases. Is this true? I can buy five Netgear AP's for the same price as the two node RBK50 system, which solution would be best?

The second area of question is the wider network integration. For example, I want to offer guest network capability and to use VLAN to separate this traffic from the local network. Some of the mesh solutions support VLANs but only if you use the supplied router functionality and all the descriptions of application are limited to IPTV support. I don't want to use the router functionality as I already have firewall router and VPN capability. This is well supported by AP's and "sort of in a poorly documented way" in some mesh solutions.

How about it SmallNetBuilder? How about a comparison of mesh and AP based solutions including performance and network integration is a real life SME environment? I think that would be really valuable.

Cheers,

This article compares single point vs. Wi-Fi system (aka mesh) performance and illustrates the importance of AP/mesh node backhaul bandwidth.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...es/33135-router-or-wi-fi-system-how-to-choose

If the performance of each AP or mesh node is equal and each is connected via Ethernet, then the main difference between multi-point AP and Wi-Fi systems boils down to management, NOT performance. Most Wi-Fi systems are dumbed-down by design and limit user access to settings normally available on routers. There are exceptions to this (ASUS AiMesh), but that's the norm.

Before you go buy 5 APs, however, you may be able to use a lot fewer. Cramming too many APs into too small an area will make device roaming (moving among APs) difficult. Devices look at signal level to decide to roam. If there is too much overlap between APs, then the signal level may not reach the roaming point. More is not necessarily better.

If you have Ethernet to each AP location and you are up for configuring and managing a multi-point system, then go with APs. Do NOT buy a mesh system with a dedicated 4x4 backhaul radio (like Orbi), then connect it using Ethernet. You'd just be paying $$ for a radio that you can't use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!