What's new

Mesh Wifi - Work Fr. Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alwayswannaflyyy

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this WIFI Mesh system.

My wife and I are working full-time from home, it's important for us to get this right
:)

My most burning questions:
  1. Is it best to buy a mesh networking system + a router to go with it?
  2. Do I need to wait to decide on a system until I moved in (to see where to run the wired backhaul?)

Not sure of internet speeds yet (have not moved in), but I'm hoping for 200+ Mbps down / 30 Mbps UP

Current NBN Modem:
Technicolor TG789vac v2
Afaik the VDSL2 makes the NBN work? So I will need to keep this and run a cable to the new router?)

Home floor plan (600 sqm total living area, 300sqm upstairs, 300 sqm downstairs)
Ceiling material: Concrete
PDF Map of home: https://pdfhost.io/v/8zT0.l9~P_Home_Wif_PDF

Use case: (Location: Australia, Perth)

Working from home from two rooms.
The offices' rooms are directly on top of each other
Internet: NBN, FTTN via IINET

3 Adults living in the house, no kids.
Computers used: 5 desktop PCs connected (4 x LAN cables, 1x wifi)
Other devices: 3 smartphones, 2 tablets

I'd like to run 4x Hikvision POE cameras into a Hikvision NVR. The network would only be used to view WIFI streams on phone (minimal usage as viewing at night when other devices are off on 600px resolution).
Also planning to run simple home automation with Samsung smart things later.

A few mesh systems on my list:

Asus XT8
Satellites: 2
WiFi 6E – Cover up to 510 m²
WiFi Bands:Tri-band
NBN Compatibility: FTTN, FTTP
Price: $799 AUD

Downsides:
Need to add 1 more satellite as 510 SQM is not enough?

Deco XE75
Satellites: 3
WiFi 6E – Cover up to 670 m²
Price: $804 (AUD)

Downsides:
Wifi speeds might be less than 100 mbps

NETGEAR Orbi Quad-band AXE11000
Satellites: 3
WiFi 6E
Covers: 835 m²
Price: $2,799 (AUD)

Downsides:
Costs as much as the house xD

Attachments

• 1668237808234.png
    1668237808234.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 1668237836902.png
    1668237836902.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
@alwayswannaflyyy,

1) In your case, likely not (at least not the consumer stuff). Since you're already considering the last price point, why not get an estimate from a reputable installer for homes as large as yours first, after it is built, and you've moved in (and actually see what your current consumer router offers that space)?

2) Yes. Wait.

With at least a main router and a node, your current home plan isn't ideal. I'm talking about the two offices being right above each other. The office on the top floor, I would set up to be where the bottom right bedroom is instead. This will give you the most even and interference-free coverage possible from a mesh setup.

AiMesh Ideal Placement

@alwayswannaflyyy,

1) In your case, likely not (at least not the consumer stuff). Since you're already considering the last price point, why not get an estimate from a reputable installer for homes as large as yours first, after it is built, and you've moved in (and actually see what your current consumer router offers that space)?

2) Yes. Wait.

With at least a main router and a node, your current home plan isn't ideal. I'm talking about the two offices being right above each other. The office on the top floor, I would set up to be where the bottom right bedroom is instead. This will give you the most even and interference-free coverage possible from a mesh setup.

AiMesh Ideal Placement
Thanks for your help.

The idea of getting a professional installer sounds good.

I assume they will be able to run cables to a few rooms to install access points.

Perhaps they can run a cable from the downstairs office to the upstairs as well.

If they can't run the wires, look elsewhere (they're not pros, at that point).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!