What's new

Migrate settings from AC68U to AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bozho

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my AC68U. I am generally happy with it, but it seems the dual core CPU is a bottleneck on a 1Gbps fiber link unless I turn off all QoS and statistics/traffic monitoring.

I was considering AX88U or AX86U and I'm leaning towards AX86U as it's a newer model.

My question is: is it possible to import AC68U settings and JFFS partition directly to AX86U, or is that not possible/recommended?

Thank you!

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my AC68U. I am generally happy with it, but it seems the dual core CPU is a bottleneck on a 1Gbps fiber link unless I turn off all QoS and statistics/traffic monitoring.

I was considering AX88U or AX86U and I'm leaning towards AX86U as it's a newer model.

My question is: is it possible to import AC68U settings and JFFS partition directly to AX86U, or is that not possible/recommended?

Thank you!
Certainly NOT recommended & not "directly" possible +
You may need to do more research regarding HighSpeed 1Gbps & QoS being able to achieve those speeds.
But here's my brief summary...
QoS is most important on Non-Symmetrical Download/Upload internet.
In many cases the ISPs will provide 1/10th the Upload speed compared to the download speed.
The non-balanced throughput kinda makes your router the buffer handler which can result in "buffer-bloat"
But in going to High-Speed such as 1Ggps...
Your router will have to use: Hardware Acceleration...
Problem: when Enabling Hardware Acceleration, you will loose Many of the advanced features of your router.
I'm not sure of the UPLOAD speed for your ISP package but...
You May Not even Need any QoS.

However "without" Hardware Acceleration Enabled... you will not get very close to 1Gbps.

Last edited:
unless I turn off all QoS and statistics/traffic monitoring.

If you need or use Asuswrt-Merlin per IP traffic monitoring - it's not available on newer routers, incompatible with the new kernel.

Certainly NOT recommended & not "directly" possible +
You may need to do more research regarding HighSpeed 1Gbps & QoS being able to achieve those speeds.
But here's my brief summary...
QoS is most important on Non-Symmetrical Download/Upload internet.
In many cases the ISPs will provide 1/10th the Upload speed compared to the download speed.
The non-balanced throughput kinda makes your router the buffer handler which can result in "buffer-bloat"
But in going to High-Speed such as 1Ggps...
Your router will have to use: Hardware Acceleration...
Problem: when Enabling Hardware Acceleration, you will loose Many of the advanced features of your router.
I'm not sure of the UPLOAD speed for your ISP package but...
You May Not even Need any QoS.

However "without" Hardware Acceleration Enabled... you will not get very close to 1Gbps.

Thank you for your reply... Yeah, QoS really doesn't matter for a 1000/500 link, so I don't care about that :)

However, I did have to turn off Traffic Analyzer statistics - if I leave it on, down speed on SpeedTest is ~650 and both CPU cores are slammed at 100%. With Statistics off, I hit ~920-950 on the download with only one core hitting 80-100%. Upload speed doesn't seem affected in either case. My NAT acceleration is set to AUTO and only CTF is enabled - from what I read, I don't think my revision supports FA.