What's new

Migrating an AC3100 to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokindog

I'm helping a friend fix up his wireless. He's got an AC3100 and I picked up a solid deal for him on an AC68 for an AP. We've already run wire for backhaul and performance/coverage looks good for his use.

Before I finish up with him this weekend (didn't have the right wall plates and jacks so I temporarily just terminated the cable we ran with an RJ45), I'd like to migrate him to Merlin.

He's got a large list of fixed DHCP assignments and wants to keep them all. I'm not really interested in recreating the list :)

Looking for methods to migrate just the DHCP reservation list? I've used the backup scripts (migrate mode I think) successfully in the past but it's been awhile. Is that still the only option and is it still viable?

TIA

EDIT - I only plan to migrate his AC3100 (main router) to Merlin

Last edited:
I would suggest both routers run the same version of RMerlin or stock Asus firmware (don't mix).

Use the new 'Better Search' option to find the script you are looking for. :)

I would suggest both routers run the same version of RMerlin or stock Asus firmware (don't mix).

Use the new 'Better Search' option to find the script you are looking for. :)
I'm not sure it matters for the AP and it's my understanding that the August ASUS AC68 release has security updates that Merlin won't have (I understand the reasoning for "trimming" support so I'm not complaining). If I were foolish enough to use AiMesh I'd agree but that's not in the cards here or in most applications (IMO).

Should I read between the lines that the script is still an acceptable (or the most acceptable) method? I've got the scripts, was just looking for the "preferred method" if such a thing exists ;)

I have been teetering on just leaving him on ASUS.

I would still be inclined to use the same firmware on both. :)

This is the script I would be using.

Personally I would leave the AP on stock firmware as it's only used as an AP. It would also get automatic updates without him having to do anything.

Unless you're installing Merlin on the 3100 to take advantage of Merlin enhancements there's a strong case for keeping that on stock firmware also because of the automatic updates.

Of course if your friend is like us and is happy to check for updates and install them himself then that's a different matter.

I would still be inclined to use the same firmware on both. :)

This is the script I would be using.

I hear ya but I even run different brand routers as APs. That's the beautiful thing about wires and allowing you to repurpose a lot of real good hardware that can still have a useful life :)

@Smokindog See this post for a more up to date method of migrating DHCP reservations without the need to install anything.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/backup-manual-dhcp-list.12876/post-469459

EDIT: Oops. Forgot there's been another change since that post. You now have to backup/restore dhcp_hostnames as well.

(You need to cd into the directory you want to save the output to before running the commands, e.g. the USB drive)

Last edited: