What's new

Migrating from AC68U --> AC86U (tips or tricks?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TexasDave

Occasional Visitor
Happy 2019! I am moving from an AC68U to a new AC86U. They AC68U has lots of configurations, mostly some open ports and fixed IP addresses (but other stuff too).

I have read that I should not use my old "backup" file from the AC68U for the new router - correct?

I guess that means going through all the screens and doing it by hand - correct?

I was going to leave the old router plugged and live (so I could go through the screens) while the new router is just plugged into my laptop. Is that the best way to do it?

Any other tips or tricks to make this easier would be appreciated. Many thanks!

DZ

Happy 2019! I am moving from an AC68U to a new AC86U. They AC68U has lots of configurations, mostly some open ports and fixed IP addresses (but other stuff too).

I have read that I should not use my old "backup" file from the AC68U for the new router - correct?

I guess that means going through all the screens and doing it by hand - correct?

I was going to leave the old router plugged and live (so I could go through the screens) while the new router is just plugged into my laptop. Is that the best way to do it?

Any other tips or tricks to make this easier would be appreciated. Many thanks!

DZ
You cannot load the saved settings of one model router to another different model. Also the difference between models here is profound. It requires hand configure and yes screen shots are the best way to go.

Do a update then flash with Merlin. After that do a restore and then manually enter all details.

I went with screenshots when I did this. As others have said you can’t use the settings from your old router.

I have the 86u. Very happy with it. Vpn is now a dream with this router.

Thanks to all for your help and advice!

For me the most time-consuming and difficult to recreate settings would be the custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist. Seems like those two strings could easily be exported from the old 68U and imported into the 86U with nvram set commands. Is that featible?
The rest of the settings either are quick to enter (SSIDs/passwords....etc) or not appropriate for the new hardware.

I’ve just had to do the same thing, from Ac68u to Ac86u, all hand configured and took a few hours but it was worth the effort :)

For time-consuming things like static DHCP and client names, I usually use nvram get on the old router and nvram set on the new router if the formats are the same. Saves a ton of time. You have to make sure that the format and length of the variable is compatible, though.

If you're a non geek like myself then doing a manual configuration is the simplest way to go. I did a minimal setup and then flashed Merlins 384.8.2. Then a factory default reset and then reconfigure it as close as I could to the 68U I replaced. Yes, it is time consuming but I'm retired and besides, it's a learning experience for me. Very happy with the 86U.

I am up and running. I did a mix of NVRAM commands and by hand. Up and working like a champ.

@Ronald Schwerer - I agree with you, I would love to be able to get my custom client list saved and imported.

Using Merlin it might be easier to configure your static DHCP reservations in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add like this:

# dhcp-host=[MAC],[Host Name],[Static IP],[Length of DHCP Lease]
dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE,DeadBeef,192.168.1.101,infinite
dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FF,DeadBeef2,192.168.1.102,infinite

There is no limit to the number of reservations and it's easier to back up and restore.

@sbsnb - Thanks for this. I got an email saying you also added a reply saying the following but I do not see it here now?

That's easy:

nvram get custom_clientlist

If you're using PuTTY you can just copy the result and paste it into another PuTTY session with nvram set custom_clientlist=[paste] on the new router.

Is this still correct? Very useful to know if so...Thanks!

@sbsnb - Thanks for this. I got an email saying you also added a reply saying the following but I do not see it here now?

That's easy:

nvram get custom_clientlist

If you're using PuTTY you can just copy the result and paste it into another PuTTY session with nvram set custom_clientlist=[paste] on the new router.

Is this still correct? Very useful to know if so...Thanks!

Here's a thread on it - I haven't tried it, but it seems possible.

(Tried it: the clientlist file location has perhaps changed, as I'm not seeing any clients listed when I run the command on my 86U.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!