What's new

Migrating from cable (router in bridge mode) to fiber. Options? (DMZ? SIP?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
Currently I use a cable connection with the modem/router from the provider in bridge mode. This box is still used for telephony, but my Asus RT-AC86u router takes care of all internet related tasks. I’m considering moving to a cheaper/faster fiber plan from a competitor, but their modem/router cannot be set into bridge mode.

What are my options? With which consequences?
  • Use DMZ on their modem/router, so I can still use their telephony services?
  • Don’t use their modem/router, but can’t use their telephony services, so I will need SIP?
  • Other options?
I don’t know enough about DMZ/SIP to be sure everything will work as before. Tips?

(I do have a mobile plan with unlimited calls, but I want to have a different number to hand out to companies, so I don’t get disturbed at work - preferably I can use my 3 RJ11 wired phones at home for that additional number)

Currently I use a cable connection with the modem/router from the provider in bridge mode. This box is still used for telephony, but my Asus RT-AC86u router takes care of all internet related tasks. I’m considering moving to a cheaper/faster fiber plan from a competitor, but their modem/router cannot be set into bridge mode.

What are my options? With which consequences?
  • Use DMZ on their modem/router, so I can still use their telephony services?
  • Don’t use their modem/router, but can’t use their telephony services, so I will need SIP?
  • Other options?
I don’t know enough about DMZ/SIP to be sure everything will work as before. Tips?

(I do have a mobile plan with unlimited calls, but I want to have a different number to hand out to companies, so I don’t get disturbed at work - preferably I can use my 3 RJ11 wired phones at home for that additional number)

To making a long story short, this would be my approach:

ISP <coax or fiber> modem or ONT <Ethernet> wireless router <Ethernet/WiFi> ...
... 2-line ATA <4-conductor tel cord> L1+L2 tel wall jack <2-line house tel wiring isolated from other> corded/cordless (DECT6) analog phones
... IP phones
... IP softphone apps (also connect over cellular data worldwide)

I would say 'no' to ISP service bundles and only subscribe to Internet service.

If cable, I prefer using my own dedicated cable modem but would accept a free one from the ISP.

I prefer using my own dedicated wireless router and would avoid using the ISP gateway/router, bridge mode, DMZ, and/or double NAT.

I would use a DIY BYOD Internet Telephony Service Provider (ITSP) for home and mobile (requires cellular data service) phone service such as VoIP.ms or other. Once you have it working to your satisfaction, port your ISP phone number to it, if you want to keep it.

I would upgrade in a timely, logical step-by-step order... not all at once.

OE

You can double NAT your router behind your new providers ONT and it will not cause you any problems as far as latency or through put. No need for putting it in the DMZ.

The only thing that becomes hard is if you want to run a server of some type behind your AC86.

You can double NAT your router behind your new providers ONT and it will not cause you any problems as far as latency or through put. No need for putting it in the DMZ.

The only thing that becomes hard is if you want to run a server of some type behind your AC86.
Forgot to mention that…

I currently run a MQTT broker on a Raspberry Pi behind the AC86u, but I can probably do without that.

Would I also lose remote SSH (public key based) access to the AC86u, with or without OpenVPN?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online