What's new

Mini Switch Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brn2rnjk1

New Around Here
Hi,
Sorry if this sounds newbieish, but didn't know how to ask it.
I have lynksys 24 port (10/100) powered switch, hooked into a netgear router. Each room in my house has an ethernet jack. In some of the rooms I have used a "Mini switch?" which is a 4 port powered switch so that I can hook a tivo/sonos/etc. on the one ethernet port.

I need to hook something up in a another room where the port is already in use and before I get another miniswitch, I was wondering if my d/l u/l rates are affected by the miniswitch (ie, if speed is important for this new hardware, do I need to find an ethernet port that is not in use, or can I split the line with a powered miniswitch in the room I would like to put it in).

Thanks in advance.

The only thing you need to worry about is saturating the uplink. In other words, if the total simultaneous bandwidth required by the devices plugged into the "miniswitch" is greater than the single port speed (100 Mbps, each way), then yes, your up and download bandwidth will be limited.

Thanks. So not like splitting a cable, more just keep the speed total on all the minii ports below what the single lyncsys 24 port can take.

Thanks. So not like splitting a cable, more just keep the speed total on all the minii ports below what the single Linksys 24 port can take.
Yes. But remember that it is simultaneous bandwidth demand. It's unlikely you would see a problem unless you had four computers all doing large file transfers back to a NAS or computer connected back up stream (not in the "miniswitch").

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!