What's new

Minimally Tech Savy, Need Advice on Router and Improving Download Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curmudgeon10

Occasional Visitor
MY network consists of an Xfinity Modem and an ASUS RT-AC68R Router, firmware 386.1 beta2. I use Trend Micro Powerline adapters to deliver Ethernet to a PC and two WAPs.

I just received my latest Xfinity bill and saw that they say they are delivering service to my house with 400MBs download speed. I did a speedtest on the PC and scored 25; a laptop with WiFi placed next to the router recorded 50. There was no activity on the network other than these two tests when they were done.

Do I need a new Router? (I note the LAN Ports on the router are labeled "100MBs." (I expect to pay a penalty for using the house wiring and Powerline adapters, but for my situation, there's no alternative.)

Recommendations?

I use Trend Micro Powerline adapters to deliver Ethernet to a PC and two WAPs.
Trend Micro doesn't make powerline adapters. I guess you mean TRENDnet. The RT-AC68R has gigabit Ethernet ports so it's likely that it's your powerline adapters that are limited to 100Mb.

I just received my latest Xfinity bill and saw that they say they are delivering service to my house with 400MBs download speed. I did a speedtest on the PC and scored 25; a laptop with WiFi placed next to the router recorded 50. There was no activity on the network other than these two tests when they were done.
Plug a PC directly into one of the RT-AC68R LAN ports and test again. If you disable router features like QoS and AiProtection it's possible to get over 800Mbps with the RT-AC68R. Once you start enabling those features the speed will drop to ~200Mbps. None of that really matters if your powerline adapters are creating a bottleneck of <100 Mbps.

Trend Micro doesn't make powerline adapters. I guess you mean TRENDnet. The RT-AC68R has gigabit Ethernet ports so it's likely that it's your powerline adapters that are limited to 100Mb.

Plug a PC directly into one of the RT-AC68R LAN ports and test again. If you disable router features like QoS and AiProtection it's possible to get over 800Mbps with the RT-AC68R. Once you start enabling those features the speed will drop to ~200Mbps. None of that really matters if your powerline adapters are creating a bottleneck of <100 Mbps.

Right, meant TRENDNET. My adapters are rated at 500Mb.

Moving my PC and large screen two floors is a pain. What if I just plug in a lap top using an Ethernet/USB cable? Wifi is delivering 50Mbs.

BTW, neither QoS or AiProtection have been activated on the router.

Last edited:
Right, meant TRENDNET. My adapters are rated at 500Mb.
What is the model number?

Moving my PC and large screen two floors is a pain. What if I just plug in a lap top using an Ethernet/USB cable?
Not ideal but probably good enough providing the USB to Ethernet adapter is a gigabit device. We're just trying to see if you can get over 100Mbps.

Wifi is delivering 50Mbs.
Sounds low, but again it could be normal for an old single stream WiFi device.

Fist off bypass the Asus and connect directly to the CM and test to see if you get close to 400mbps.
Next, plug the CM back into the Asus and test again.
If the speed is crap then reset the Asus and try again.
If it's still crap then replace the Asus with something different.

Adapters:

TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter TPL-406E​

I've ordered the cable I need. Will be here Sunday.

ISP Modem/Router is in bridge mode. Do I need to switch it back to test?

Adapters:

TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter TPL-406E​

That's going to be part, if not all of the problem. That device only has a 10/100 Mb Ethernet connection. After overheads the most speed you're going to get through it is about 92Mbps, maybe less depending on your house mains wiring.

That's going to be part, if not all of the problem. That device only has a 10/100 Mb Ethernet connection. After overheads the most speed you're going to get through it is about 92Mbps, maybe less depending on your house mains wiring.
I fully echo these comments. My personal experience is also that these types of adapters are the limiting factor here. Apart from the rating, the quality of your electrical wiring and how many junctions are in between both also plays a role in coming close to the rating. I had some 500Mbps rated Asus adapters but at best, i got them up to 300Mbps due to the wiring scheme from one socket to the other. I believe the rating can only be achieved if you have direct wiring between both the sockets you use.

I fully echo these comments. My personal experience is also that these types of adapters are the limiting factor here. Apart from the rating, the quality of your electrical wiring and how many junctions are in between both also plays a role in coming close to the rating. I had some 500Mbps rated Asus adapters but at best, i got them up to 300Mbps due to the wiring scheme from one socket to the other. I believe the rating can only be achieved if you have direct wiring between both the sockets you use.
What about the 50 WiFi when connected to the ASUS, not going through any adapters to the WAPs?

Are there better adapters to use, still understanding the limitations due to wiring, etc.?

Are there better adapters to use, still understanding the limitations due to wiring, etc.?
There are adapters that are more efficient and have a higher theoretical maximum throughput. But if your house wiring is currently limiting you to 20Mbps then getting a better adapter is unlikely to make a huge difference.

Confirm your Ethernet speeds at the modem/router before looking at other things. What speed do you get in the router's GUI at Adaptive QoS > Internet Speed ?

I think you're seeing the limitations of some home equipment.. when one has higher speed internet service 500Mbit and up. I ran into problems when I ugraded my Inernet and found some tplink gigabit switch would not do the full gigabit, my old laptop also would not do that speed etc. Maybe try some newer/better powerline adapters that you can return if they dont get you a faster speed. Keeping in mind that you may have to run ethernet in some acceptable way to get speeds up in those locations.

I would test directly wired to the xfinity equipment and see what speeds you get. If your equipment is old you can still be slower than 400Mb, but you should break 100-150Mbs easy.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!