What's new

Minumum Distance between AP\Router and Device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RangerZ

Regular Contributor
Can one place a device to close to an AP?

I have set up a trio of ASUS RT-AC1900 devices at a family members house. 2 of the MESH AP units are sitting behind the TV at one corner, mostly as it's convenient and I thought better than the floor.

Family is had some complaints with mostly the Firesticks that were recently added and literally inches from the AP, but also a kindle reader (mostly used in one room).

I have gone through the APs and removed all but 1 5G connection. I used the ASUS mesh "LINK" feature to keep these from roaming off the selected AP (not sure they do). It's only been a few days, so not sure if I fixed anything yet.

I recall reading at one time something about not placing 2 APs to close together, something about wave length.

Anyone have thoughts, opinions or technical references. Google did not get me much, at least with my search terms.

Am I correct in thinking that you have two AP's sitting next to each other behind the same TV? Why? :confused:

Am I correct in thinking that you have two AP's sitting next to each other behind the same TV? Why? :confused:
Sorry, no. This was poor editing on my behalf.

I have TVs in 2 different rooms each with some type network equipment (IE Tivo, DVD, etc) connected via Ethernet to the AP's switch. Location facilitated cabeling odf the other devices. The AP is setup for wired back-haul to the router (another RT-AC1900P). APs were for phones, tablets and Alexa. Now a Firesticks in each location.

If the Firesticks (or any other WiFi device) is "literally inches from the AP" I would definitely try to move them further apart. Preferably about one metre if possible, if not do the best you can. Then see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
If they're that close, you shouldn't be using a wifi connection at all for the fire sticks. I don't own one of those, but from a quick google search it seems like some models have ethernet ports as standard and for others you can get an ethernet dongle for a few bucks. A wired connection avoids any client-too-close problems (yes that is a thing), and it means that the fire sticks are not competing for wifi bandwidth with your other wireless clients.

If they're that close, you shouldn't be using a wifi connection at all for the fire sticks. I don't own one of those, but from a quick google search it seems like some models have ethernet ports as standard and for others you can get an ethernet dongle for a few bucks. A wired connection avoids any client-too-close problems (yes that is a thing), and it means that the fire sticks are not competing for wifi bandwidth with your other wireless clients.
Brilliant! Never occurred to me that I could do this. I extensively wired the building when it was constructed in 2008 and everything that can be wired is. Looks like a $10-20 solution depending on how I do it.

If the Firesticks (or any other WiFi device) is "literally inches from the AP" I would definitely try to move them further apart. Preferably about one metre if possible, if not do the best you can. Then see if it makes any difference.
I found this article, which basically indicates if APs are too close together they experience a lot more retires. I can not find the article that indicated spacing but I recall it saying space something like 1 or 3 wave lengths apart. This link shows how to calculate the wavelengths. Bottom like a meter or yard is over 5 wavelengths so 3 feet should improve things.

I will try moving things around this weekend and see what happens over the next week or so.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!