What's new

Mirror cloud storage via snapshotting file system?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daffy

New Around Here
Hi,

is there functionality present in the Merlin distribution that allows for taking snapshots of a file system as part of mirroring cloud storage?

My goal is simple: I have cloud storage. I want to have a full local copy of that, versioned.

Idea:
* have btrfs
* run cron job with rsync-like feature (Python script?) to download only
--> local copy of all cloud storage

In theory, with btrfs supporting snapshots and deduplication, this mechanism should work for some period of time without requiring too much maintenance.

The reason for snapshots is to protect against attacks against cloud storage - if files are deleted from cloud storage by an unauthorized party, these files would still be present in one of the snapshots on the mirror.

Looking at the Asus firmware, I only recognize EXT and JBD file systems in the list of kernel modules. How is the Merlin firmware doing in this area?

I don't support any additional filesystem beside what is already supported on stock.

I don't support any additional filesystem beside what is already supported on stock.

Would you consider adding BTRFS as a kernel module?

I am under the impression that BTRFS (https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page) is part of the future of Linux. It has many attractive features, such as copy-on-write, snapshotting (i.e. it supports versioning), transparent compression - and this is only on top of what a "normal" journalling file system would provide.

Would you consider adding BTRFS as a kernel module?

I am under the impression that BTRFS (https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page) is part of the future of Linux. It has many attractive features, such as copy-on-write, snapshotting (i.e. it supports versioning), transparent compression - and this is only on top of what a "normal" journalling file system would provide.

No. Kernel option changes tend to break a lot of things due to the increasing number of closed-source modules Asus are adding. I was forced to revert a few kernel option changes I was doing because they caused those proprietary modules to no longer recognize the kernel and refuse to load. I had to waste a lot of time trying to track down which specific options were causing issues, so from now on, I won't be touching kernel options anymore unless necessary.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!