What's new

Missing antenna and AIMesh node dropouts - related?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webreaper

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I recently set up my AIMesh (you can read the whole sorry saga here...), so I have an AC86U as my AIMesh router, and an AC68U as my AIMesh Node. Both are running Merlin v386.9.

I've noticed that the AIMesh node keeps dropping offline - despite the fact that the signal from the AC86U comfortably reaches past where it's located (they're about 15m apart, and although there's a couple of walls in the way there's also open doors). When the node is connected, it shows a signal strength of 'Good'.

I'm wondering whether the problem might be that I damaged one of the 3 antennae on the AC68U (the middle one). I - perhaps naively - assumed that it wouldn't make a difference and two antennae would be fine, but now I'm seeing it drop out even at relatively close range, I'm wondering if the reception is compromised by having only 2 of the 3 antenna connected. I've ordered a replacement, just in case, but am I being paranoid? Or is it more likely that the issue is just interference from walls within the house?

I'll probably switch to ethernet backhaul over powerline (I moved house a week ago and can't find the box with the powerline adapters yet....) but just curious about the missing antenna and whether it would have an impact.

It is never a good idea to operate radio transmitters without antenna.
For sure it will have a negative effect on the link in your Mesh system and hopefully it will not damage the radio chip in your router.

Okay, thanks. I'll see if things improve once I put the replacement onto the unit when it arrives in the next couple of days.

Okay, thanks. I'll see if things improve once I put the replacement onto the unit when it arrives in the next couple of days.

Yes, fix the router of course, and try different/closer node locations suitable for the AC68U signal, which is not as effective broadcast-wise as the AC86U (I retired my AC68Us in 2018).

Find the node backhaul connection details in the 86U Wireless Log to see/know more about what a 'good' connection means... a good wireless/shared backhaul is not that good overall depending on the node's client needs. Adjust the wireless backhaul distance/path for a 5.0 backhaul connection RSSI >-66dBm (less negative). Notice how many streams (NSS) are active with your busted antenna... you may be missing a stream and/or dealing with a compromised signal.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks, awesome info.

Realistically, I think that adding a wired backhaul connection via a pair of TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 1GB powerline connectors I have somewhere... is the right answer here.

Thanks, awesome info.

Realistically, I think that adding a wired backhaul connection via a pair of TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 1GB powerline connectors I have somewhere... is the right answer here.

If you have issues using powerline and have an RG59 or better coax run available (no DOCSIS3.x cable service on it), consider MoCA 2.5 for the wired backhaul (Amazon price seems to vary widely, near weekly).

OE

Last edited:
Powerline Adaptors (PLAs) are never the right idea. A properly set up AiMesh node is much more performant, reliable and consistent.
I'm talking about using AIMesh. What I'm saying is that the right solution is an AIMesh node, but with a hardwired backhaul to the AIMesh router over powerline. That then means you have Wifi and wired backhaul to the node.

Running an ethernet or coax backhaul between the two AIMesh nodes isn't an option because I'm not currently in a position to start chasing cables into walls (and have no desire to do so). So Powerline is the next best thing.

I understood what you think is correct. PLAs are the worst possible choices to fix networking problems and should be the last thing to try (and even then, many simply go back to whatever they were using before).

When PLAs work, that's great. I haven't found a situation when they do though (in the last 10 years of helping people with their networks, including my own with TP-Link AV2000 and most recently with NG Powerline 2000 adaptors too).

I used Powerline for a couple of years without fault, and they performed brilliantly. The only reason I stopped using them at all was because I moved some stuff around in my house and ended up moving my NAS next to my router. And that was in a 200-year-old house with ropey wiring. But yes, I've also heard some horror stories of them being slow and unreliable, so I guess YMMV.

If they don't work well in my above scenario, worst case I can poke a 15m long ethernet cable under the carpet, but it'll look a bit crap!

Don't forget you can get flat Ethernet cable for under the carpet runs too. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!