What's new

Mixed aimesh 1.0 and 2.0 (68 vs 3100)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dropilikeitshot

Occasional Visitor
Yesterday my main NightHawk router flaked out. I actually had multiple other routers in my house (3 stories plus basement and outbuildings) repeating / extending this router, but I had hoped to replace it with Merlin. As such I acquired 2 68u routers and a 3100. I had these on 384.17 working in ap/repeater mode to the nighthawk. I upgraded the ASUS routers to 386.3.2 yesterday with the aim of making the 3100 the main router and the other 2 aimesh nodes. Long story short I tried multiple times to get this to work but could not add any nodes. I read the forum and tried the various suggestions yesterday. I eventually tried downgrading the 68u routers and was able to get aimesh setup , one 68u is main the other a node both are on 384.17 Merlin but 3100 is on 386.3.2. It is working but I would prefer the 3100 as main. And eventually I want to upgrade to ax supported Merlin and move the 68us to the outbuildings wireless backhual and the 3100 to the basement with Ethernet backhaul. My plan was to increment 68u firmware until issue reappears and also retry 3100 as main as time permits. Anyone else have similar issues? Also any suggestions regarding which of the supported newest ax router options is the best unit to server as the future main router for my aimesh setup are also welcomed. If for some reason my 68us are flaky and stuck at aimesh 1.0 will this hobble my other aimesh 2.0 nodes as I add them?

If for some reason my 68us are flaky and stuck at aimesh 1.0 will this hobble my other aimesh 2.0 nodes as I add them?

Probably... why are your RT-AC68Us stuck on old/AiMesh 1.0 firmware?

OE

Thanks, downgrading, building a mesh then upgrading resolved the issue for me. Sorry for the duplicate post, I did search but didn't see anything similar to my issue at the time. I had been using the Asus units in AP mode with a Netgear Nighthawk X6S as main main unit but it completely flaked out on me so I reverted back to the older ASUS models I had on hand. They are slower but my dead / weak spots are gone. I tolerated the X6S until because of its speed over my older Asus units that is until it flaked out. If it supported mesh I would be more future proof like the Asus units.

So far I can get the 68u units to connect to the 3100 as a node when I downgrade but have not been successful in getting the 3100 to be the main . Since the 3100 is faster would be nice to get it to be the main aimesh unit

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

You need to fully reset all the routers. Do not carry over anything, particularly via saved backup config files.

Flash each router to the latest RMerlin firmware and build your network slowly from there. There are no shortcuts, only time-wasting side-trips.

Ideally as @L&LD said, however
So far I can get the 68u units to connect to the 3100 as a node when I downgrade but have not been successful in getting the 3100 to be the main . Since the 3100 is faster would be nice to get it to be the main aimesh unit
this is just too cryptic for me to understand where you are at.

I have just updated this post with tonight's testing. Please review and see if you can apply it.

Ok thanks, basically the new faster model can’t be the master it will not bind the older 68u units as nodes. I reverted it all back to 68 as master with the other 2 as nodes. I also upgraded the Netgear (which is about ~4.5x faster than the 68u as an hardwired access point. Getting 2-3x the speed off the netgear , but use the other nodes and have the slower stuff on mesh, and main pc is Ethernet to the main 68, getting close to modem speed on that. Going to upgrade cable modem, pay for 1.2gb now but modem capped at about 700 by isp and looking to get a ASUS ax router on eBay hopefully that can be the master and link the other three as nodes then go hardwired and optimize our devices >100, moving pcs and whatever else to Ethernet

Unfortunately the level of detail you offer does not make if possible for people to help you.

You do not spell out model numbers, include firmware revisions , detail of the process you use or error messages. You have not confirmed that you have followed any of the instructions that you have been given by L&LD or myself.

Run on paragraphs just don't work for me.

Ok, thanks I tried the steps.

I attempted the instructions as presented on the forum multiple times.

I Executed the instructions with multiple older firmwares. I also tried the steps with the current Merlin firmware (not stock ASUS) multiple times.

I also attempted to trouble shoot and assumed that Perhaps my patch cables might be contributing to the issue. I swapped in a 6e category patch cable I had plugged into my cable modem and got the same result.

I am still only able to set up aimesh when one (either one) of my ASUS ac1900 model RTAC68u routers) is the main router. However I want per the guidance from ASUS to have the faster router the RTAC3100 as the main.
I have ordered a new cable modem, because my ISP has alerted me to the fact that my unit is not supported by my current configuration.

I am waiting for delivery it should arrive by Monday. I don’t think the cable modem would stop the RTAC3100 from being the main aimesh router, but figured upgraded equipment and the 30-25% speed boost would hurt my network setup in the future.

My next step is to buy an AX(WiFi 6) ASUS router and I will then try a 4 router aimesh with the new unit and my existing 3 routers as nodes. I will report back once I add the 4th ASUS unit.

sorry for the long post. MyIntentionWasNotToFrustrateAnyone

Your still not detailed enough. As an example, confirm you read this and performed all the steps on all devices before trying to configure them.

If you did and it did not work, you should have ended up here. Use the Nuclear Reset option.

Don't rush it. Only setup the AC3100 with one AC68u.

If you get (or have gotten) "Unable to add AIMesh node", go back and Re-Read my other post about AIMesh issues with the latest Merlin.

Regarding your planned purchase, read this. I know no more.

Your still not detailed enough. As an example, confirm you read this and performed all the steps on all devices before trying to configure them.

If you did and it did not work, you should have ended up here. Use the Nuclear Reset option.

Don't rush it. Only setup the AC3100 with one AC68u.

If you get (or have gotten) "Unable to add AIMesh node", go back and Re-Read my other post about AIMesh issues with the latest Merlin.

Regarding your planned purchase, read this. I know no more.
As the RangerZ pointed out, being detailed is very important. Have you attempted to do any resets with the AC3100. I know sometimes the main router(RT-AC3100) could be at fault and not the node(RT-AC68U).

As the RangerZ pointed out, being detailed is very important. Have you attempted to do any resets with the AC3100. I know sometimes the main router(RT-AC3100) could be at fault and not the node(RT-AC68U).
Thanks, I have an update.

Not sure if this information will help anyone else out.

Summary, it is working now as intended. The thread can be closed. Thanks to everyone, especially RangerZ and SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, not only for their support but also for their patience and understanding.

Details, I had been resetting all the routers using the WPS , power cycle wait for power led to flash then release WPS button method.

Upstream change replaced my gigabit cable modem with a newer gigabit model.

Then I reset the ac3100 and set it up as default (main) using the steps.

Reset first ac1900 (rtac68u) and it would not work via lan to lan, lan to wan or WiFi aimesh setup.
I downgraded the firmware of the ac3100 to 384-19.

Only then was I able to successfully set it up as aimesh min via lan to lan connection to the first rtac68u as a node. Note the 68u was post reset but still on the current Merlin firmware (see my sig).

I was also able to get my second rt68u set up as a node, but used Ethernet lan to wan. I did this after the recommended step (lan to lan failed).

Final step was to upgrade ac3100 to current Merlin firmware.

Not sure if this information will help anyone else out. My conclusion is that my rtac68u units which I bought second hand off eBay (as refurbished) maybe rebrand T-Mobile units that have some minor nvram discrepancies that result in atypical behavior over stock AC1900 rtac68u models.

Do they say T-Mobile on them??
Bought as set on eBay. Seller refurbished and came with Merlin pre-installed , part of the refurbishment was hitting the unit with black spray paint , so the are painted flat black. :(

New (used) AXE11000 came today. Set it as master and added the other three routers nodes with no issues,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!