What's new

Mixed Clients with Multiple SSIDs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T

thetoad30

Can someone please confirm with me that even if separating mixed clients (G/N) into separate virtual SSIDs on wireless routers that allow this, slowdowns will still occur on activity of the G clients due to the SSIDs still being on the same radio?

Thank you.

Can someone please confirm with me that even if separating mixed clients (G/N) into separate virtual SSIDs on wireless routers that allow this, slowdowns will still occur on activity of the G clients due to the SSIDs still being on the same radio?
That is correct. Mixed clients simultaneously active on a single radio will have degraded performance.

Okay, thanks. I figured as much, but wanted to make sure before I spent the hassle setting up multiple SSIDs and getting the clients connected.

Next question:

I have two Wireless routers - a first-gen dual-band Apple Airport Extreme and a WRT350N - right next to each other.

I have some 2.4 N clients, and some 2.4 G clients. I know I should separate them, but what's the recommendation to do so?

Mainly, how do I prevent overlapping with the N 40MHz (I want bonded channels for throughput as my environment allows it)? Does it matter on the 2.4 network? Do I need to set up a G client on channel 1 or 11, and the 2.4 client on the opposite to prevent channel interference since channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels in the 2.4 spectrum?

Example:

G router set to channel 11

N router set to channel 1 with bonding on channel 4 or 5 (whatever the width needs to be)?

Is there best practice for how to split up the G/N on the routers? Can I have the 2.4 on the dual-band apple as G, the 5 as N, and the Linksys WRT350N as N? Or should I make the 350N G and let the apple stay in an N mode? Does this affect CPU utilization? Impacts, etc.?

I just want to make sure I'm following best practices as they should be.

I also have a 5 GHz N network that is bonded as well, but for mixed mode it doesn't matter since I don't have any A clients.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need to worry about separating ABG and N clients if you plan to use both flavors at the same time for long periods, i.e. Torrents and video streaming.

If you are going to use 40 MHz bandwidth mode in 2.4 GHz, then use channels 1 and 11 as you describe.

Shouldn't matter which router you use for G and N. You can experiment if you like. But each should have enough CPU power.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online