What's new

Mixed MoCA adapters on same network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonavin

New Around Here
Hello everyone. Thanks to the posts on SNB I started experimenting with MoCA. I’ve had really bad experience with HPNA and the inflated ratings, so I was pleasantly surprised that my two Bonded Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters were able to get 850+ mbps.

Now I am looking at expanding this setup since I have cable coax going to nearly every room in this older house but no easy way to run Cat6 everywhere. I do not have cable or satellite TV and have isolated my cable modem connection from my MoCA network to avoid any possible interference or need for a PoE adapter.

I have a few questions for those of you running multiple devices. I know that as long as all the devices are at least MoCA 1.1 or higher, having a slower device shouldn’t slow down all the endpoints. The speed will be based on the slowest negotiated speed between two points of communication.

Given that all the devices share the same coax network I know that the total bandwidth is shared for the entire network. So that’s easy to figure out if I have purely all adapters of the same generation. So if I add another 2.0 Bonded adapter I will dropped to a lower rate when all 3 devices are transmitting. Assuming they all consume data at the same rate it would be roughly 300mbps for each.

Now if I added a pair of 2.5 adapters to my network, the two 2.5 will get a full duplex 1gbps when no other devices are communicating. What if I have a pair of 2.0 Bonded talking to each other at the same time as the 2.5 talking to each other. Given the shared bandwidth, is it reasonable to expect the two 2.0 computers will be communicating at half rate and the 2.5 adapters en dup with just a half duplex gigabit connection? What about when one main device is talking to both a 2.5 and 2.0 simultaneously?

I’m trying to decide if a pair of 2.5 will be enough or do I need to replace the 2.0 or only use it for connections that are less active (rarely used locations, printers, etc...).

Please comment if you have 3+ adapters or mixed MoCA genertaions on your network. Please correct any points I have made that may not be accurate. I am completely new to MoCA.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!