What's new

Mixing RT-AX86U with ET8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Abbas

Occasional Visitor
I've recently picked up an RT-AX86U to begin replacing my current Mesh system. Ideally would have liked to use WiFi 6E but there is no merlin support for it and maybe whenever that comes, I might replace the RT-AX86U.

For mesh nodes, I am thinking of a few things. My first choice would be the ET8 for WiFi 6E. All nodes will be wired for backhaul so I'll have all three bands available. Will the ET8 play out well with the RT-AX86U? Alternatively, I can get additional RT-AX86Us and maybe in the future replace all. Or is there anything else that I could go for?

So I picked up an XT8 and I cannot get it to mesh with me AX86U- it just doesn't find it when I try ro set it up as a mesh node. I can set up the XT8 as an independent router but not as a node to the 86U. Both are running the latest firmware versions with AIMesh 2.0. The 86U is on Merlin. Any ideas?

So I picked up an XT8 and I cannot get it to mesh with me AX86U- it just doesn't find it when I try ro set it up as a mesh node. I can set up the XT8 as an independent router but not as a node to the 86U. Both are running the latest firmware versions with AIMesh 2.0. The 86U is on Merlin. Any ideas?
Before I upgrade my router to GT-AX11000, I'm using AX86U as main router. I just find node as usual but you need to make sure XT8 is already factory reset.

Follow below way to factory reset XT8:
1. Turn the power off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS button" and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Continue to press and hold the WPS button.
You see the power LED light on(white) -> power LED light turn off -> power LED light flashing green color -> power LED light turn off and then you can release the WPS button.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Th
Before I upgrade my router to GT-AX11000, I'm using AX86U as main router. I just find node as usual but you need to make sure XT8 is already factory reset.

Follow below way to factory reset XT8:
1. Turn the power off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS button" and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Continue to press and hold the WPS button.
You see the power LED light on(white) -> power LED light turn off -> power LED light flashing green color -> power LED light turn off and then you can release the WPS button.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.
Thanks. I tried this already but doesnt help. The unit definitely gets reset as I can set it up as a new router (it creates thar new WiFi network after a reset) but my AX86U just can't locate it when I try to add it as a mesh node using the app or the web UI.

Th

Thanks. I tried this already but doesnt help. The unit definitely gets reset as I can set it up as a new router (it creates thar new WiFi network after a reset) but my AX86U just can't locate it when I try to add it as a mesh node using the app or the web UI.
Have you disable WPS? You better enable it back for AX86U searching them.

Last edited:
Ok- so an update. I overwrote the Merlin firmware with the stock ASUS firmware and did not change any settings. Lo and behold- the XT8 showed up for setting up as a node! Possibly a Merlin firmware issue?

Ok- so an update. I overwrote the Merlin firmware with the stock ASUS firmware and did not change any settings. Lo and behold- the XT8 showed up for setting up as a node! Possibly a Merlin firmware issue?
I'm not sure.. The last firmware I'm used for AX86U before upgrading to AX11000 is 386.3_2..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!