What's new

MoCA Adapter Not Working Help Please - Newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The device you found in your basement is a power supply feeding what was probably an amplifier installed to boost signals on your coax. You need to test it to see if it is still out putting out 15 VDC. It sends the DC over the run of coaxial cable attached. If not putting out power that could be part of your problem.

To trace your cables you need to put a tester on them. One end is a transmitter and the other end detects the signal. And one by one locate both ends of the coax you want to use.

I have attached a link for a tester available from Amazon for US$25.

the amp may well be the issue.
Hopefully the walls are only covered with gypsum board (sheet rock). Easy to cut and, with a little practice, easy to repair.

as long as the POE filter is on the cable going outside to the cable co demarc box, it should be fine, unless there is a second drop at the demarc that goes to your attic ( unlikely, but not impossible)

The device you found in your basement is a power supply feeding what was probably an amplifier installed to boost signals on your coax. You need to test it to see if it is still out putting out 15 VDC. It sends the DC over the run of coaxial cable attached. If not putting out power that could be part of your problem.

To trace your cables you need to put a tester on them. One end is a transmitter and the other end detects the signal. And one by one locate both ends of the coax you want to use.

I have attached a link for a tester available from Amazon for US$25.

no link

The device you point out (https://imgur.com/gallery/UzjHpZk) is the power supply to an amplifier, like these (https://www.amazon.com/coax-cable-amplifier/s?k=coax+cable+amplifier). That might be a problem as MoCA tends not to make it through them unless specifically designed to work with MoCA, but depends where the amp. is installed. If its' before any other splitters that have MoCA then it would be fine.

Now the fact that you have that PoE filter, seems to confirm that your have (had) multi-room DVR setup which works over MoCA. The PoE filter is a good thing, as long as it's between your home and the outside.

Do you in fact have multiple settop boxes with whole-house DVR?

follow the cable that is plugged into the DC power injector and that should lead you to the amp.

follow the cable that is plugged into the DC power injector and that should lead you to the amp.

I just attempted to follow the cable plugged into the power injector and unfortunately it leads into the ceiling next to an air duct. It is completely inaccessible and attempting to find the amp would most likely include me tearing up a large portion of my basement ceiling. I do believe the amp was at point accessible but unfortunately during the renovations to basement I think it was very likely covered up.

If the amp is indeed the issue is there any possible workaround because I think finding and replacing it would not be possible.

If the amp is indeed the issue is there any possible workaround because I think finding and replacing it would not be possible.
Test the power supply using a multimeter. If it isn't working then the amp won't. Replace the power supply and hope the AMP is MOCA compliant.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!