What's new

Moca Adapter To Spectrum Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MoCA 2.5 uses the entire range of 1125-1675 MHz, and so is more demanding on the splitters
Yep, the Motorola MM1000 is bonded MoCA 2.0, so bonds 2 100 MHz channels; MoCA 2.5 bonds up to 5 channels, so consumes/requires pretty much the whole 1125-1675 MHz MoCA Extended Band D frequency range.

p.s. Standard MoCA 2.0 is limited to a single 100 MHz channel, and MoCA 1.0/1.1 just a single 50 MHz channel.

Okay so update from yesterday...last night I was able to connect the MoCA PoE directly to the modem and still got no link connection between the two. I've posted a birds-eye view of it. Left to right: Router, Moca (sitting on top of the oldest blu-ray player known to man), Modem. Two of the 3 lights ARE illuminated on the Moca (power and lan) but are not visible in the picture since the flash was on. Thank you for the suggestion @krkaufman here's to hoping you didn't throw your back out moving ;)

In my spare time yesterday I contacted Antronix asking about a different splitter since I am uneducated on why there is a 12v cable coming from the splitter...this was their response:

"I have attached the specs sheet for our MVRA amplifier.
It contains a passive modem port which can communicate MoCA wise with the amplified output ports.
The amplified output ports amplify the legacy signals from 54-1000Mhz.
With this amplifier the amplified output ports can communicate with each other in the 1125 to 1675 MoCA band.
If a MoCA device installed on the passive VoIP port, it can communicate with the MoCA output ports.
The amplifier has been fine tuned for MoCA loss port to port.
The amplifier does not amplify the MoCa band."

He suggested the MVRA 502B, I attached the pdf manual. I have no idea what the differences are between what you recommended @splunge2020 and the MVRA 502B. Clearing up the confusion with the splitter...you were correct, I haven't checked as to which cable it is yet, but I dug up 2C on the other side and it was completely disconnected (as shown below sitting in the flower pot) so this means you were correct it's either cable 1 or 2 (the two yellow cables in the schematics) that run down on that right side (one yellow cable is hard to see but it's behind the loop of cables there)...so there has to be a split somewhere right? one cable then running to a bedroom in the house and the other being that orange cable on the left that then connects to the black cable we know for sure runs from the porch to the family room. I'll test those two output lines tonight and report back tomorrow with the findings since the kids have friends over playing Fortnite all day. As for logging into the modem, I tried logging in a few days ago, got an "Error connection timed out" page, I got the same message again today. Anything I can do to get around that? I can't thank you guys enough for your insight and sticking with me through this tedious process.

Attachments

• 20210515_003528 2.jpg
    20210515_003528 2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 142
  • ds-1150-ar-mvra502b.pdf
    611.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210515_133131 3.jpg
    20210515_133131 3.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 150
Looks like the amp they pointed you to differs from the one I gave you in that it has a single port that's passive...they call it the VoIP port. That's for if power goes out, then at least that port will still operate w/out amplification. You'd want that going to your modem (assuming it has battery back up) so your phone service will still operate through a power outage. If you're fine w/ cellular, than probably not worth the trouble.

As for the wiring, you're going to have to do some sleuthing. I'm guessing here, but from the picture I'm assuming the orange cable is Spectrum from the street. I'd expect that's what actually connects to your C2 port. From there, I'd say disconnect all of the output ports, and then reconnect them one at a time until your connection to the family room works. Then you'll know which is going there. Then the same process to figure out which cable goes to the basement. Once you get a MoCA appropriate amp/splitter in the garage hooked up to the right cables, then you should be able to just go wall plate in fam room -> Motorola -> modem, with modem ethernet to router WAN, MoCA ethernet to router LAN, with no 2-way splitter involved. Then hopefully the MoCA light will come on.

As to the claim that the D3.1 modem won't work with MoCA, I suspect they're thinking long range. Right now your internet is working w/ the PoE filter and 5-1000 splitter blocking the extended D3.1 frequencies, so there's no way they're using those frequencies to deliver your 1Gbps service.

Good luck cable sleuthing after the Fortnite party.

Oh, to get to the modem you can try plugging a laptop or PC ethernet into the modem's Ethernet, and then manually setting your PC's IP address to something like 192.168.100.2.

Alright @splunge2020 so after doing some price shopping there seems to be a pretty limited availability on the specific Antronix splitters, not to mention a little pricey...I found this one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFC3T9G/?tag=snbforums-20 but I ended up buying this one, not 100% sure if it'll work but it'll be here Wednesday, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KCY5MBU/?tag=snbforums-20, wasn't sure if this one would work since it specifically mentions Verizon Fios, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRYS8YZ/?tag=snbforums-20

Also, didn't have a chance to test the coax cables that ran to the modem so I'll get that done tonight after the house isn't using any devices and report back with findings. Thanks again for the useful knowledge and insight.

I actually have the 3rd one on your list but haven't yet installed it since things are working well enough (using a BAMF 2-way splitter I get 4 bonded channels right now, no need to rock the boat to get that 5th). Be aware that the 6-way splitter you bought is passive, so DO NOT hook the power adapter to it. Also, it will introduce 11 dBmV of signal loss, so it may make your internet signal to the modem unstable. You might want to go ahead and order the 3rd splitter on your list just to have on hand in case you need to improve the signal to the modem. That's why you really want access to the modem's status page so you can make sure you're staying in spec.

I am very curious to find out the results of your testing...one thought that occurred to me after looking at your pictures is that the grounding block on that orange cable looks much newer than on the bundled cable to the right. Is it possible that there is just a single run of coax from the orange cable to your family room, and the splitter in the garage is not connected to anything at all?

Last edited:
Alright so the Fios splitter won't be here until Friday, the BAMF will arrive Wednesday, date night tonight then I'll update on the original splitter cables and modem frequencies late tonight. You're once again right about the orange cable being newer, the bundled cable to the right was installed when the previous home owner had DirectTV, I only know this because it says DirectTV on the actual coax. You could be correct on the splitter not being used at all, but it wouldn't make sense to me why they'd just leave the splitter there? Thanks for the input. More findings to come!

Last edited:
So, once again @splunge2020 you're right on the money. The splitter in the garage isn't connected to the modem at all. So what does that mean for me? I'll be able to try and log into the modem tonight after the kids are done "virtually learning" and let you know the frequencies of the Modem or if I have trouble logging into it.

Ok, that makes things easier conceptually. What you need to do is add the 2-way splitter you ordered after the orange cable, with the PoE filter on the splitter input. One branch will connect to the family room cable, and the other to the cable in your flower pot (which we beileve goes to the C2 input port on the existing splitter/amp). That will go into the other splitter you bought, and then the garage line can connect to one of the outputs. You'll likely want to get 75 ohm terminators for the unused ports on the splitter.

The only concern is that most of this is going on outside. I'm a little worried about the condition of the cable sitting in the flower pot, and also a little concerned about having the splitter exposed outside like that. You should for sure get some rubber boots for all of the connections that are outside. Like these. You might also need to put a new connector on the cable in the flower pot if it's too corroded. You also might want to get a water proof electrical box for the splitter to live in.

Good luck!

So yesterday knowing that none of that splitter was connected to the modem, I traced the other wires to the exact rooms in the house...The two yellow go to the two rooms farthest from the garage, (1 and 2 in the diagram at the beginning of the thread) while 3 and 4 go to the basement. I'm only interested in using #3 since I have everything on the top floor hardwired via cat6 from the attic. I'm going moca adapter 2 in the basement and from there to a wireless access point. All of that works fine, we're just diagnosing the issue of the moca adapter 1 and why it won't link to the modem. As for the remaining 2 coax on that splitter, I disconnected the 12v coax and then disconnected 2C, and pulled it back through the garage wall since it's been sitting outside not connected to anything for 10 years, it was pretty bad, I have a new coax to feed back through the wall now. Everything is ready and labeled waiting for the new splitters to arrive. I'll pick up the rubber boots as well as the water proof box today as well as finally log into the modem later tonight and have that posted tomorrow morning. I'll also try to get back on later tonight and post a schematic of the new setup just to make sure I've got everything going the right way.

Alright so unless I'm doing something wrong, I tried logging into the modem using 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.100.2 and was unsuccessful with either. Attached pics just in case I'm doing something incorrect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.53.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.53.13 PM.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.55.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.55.41 PM.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.57.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.57.03 PM.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 135
the first image is correct, you're setting the laptop's IP to 192.168.100.2. The netmask is ok, but you could try 255.255.255.0 instead. For the 2nd and 3rd pics did you try setting the laptop to .1? The last pic makes it seem that way. Keep the laptop as .2 and keep trying. In your browser, be specific about http://192.168.100.1, don't just type 192.168.100.1 since a lot of browsers will assume https:// (port 443) which won't be open. Getting close!

Damn. I tried all those options as well as changing the netmask and keep getting "the site took too long to respond"

Odd. I guess they've locked down the access then :( There's definitely an IP listening (that's why you got the warning about another computer using .1). Oh well, it's not as important as before when we thought there were multiple levels of splitters in there. A single 2-way splitter between Spectrum and your modem will be fine, given that there already was one there when you started. And we know they're not using high frequencies because they installed a splitter w/ a 1GHz cutoff. So for now, just wait on the splitters to arrive, and have fun wiring it all up.

Quick question, regarding PoE filters, is it too excessive to go: New 6 way splitter PoE filter on input, 2 way splitter outside PoE filter on input (as discussed prior) and then PoE filter directly on the modem? It doesn't mess with dB's does it?

Quick question, regarding PoE filters, is it too excessive to go: New 6 way splitter PoE filter on input, 2 way splitter outside PoE filter on input (as discussed prior) and then PoE filter directly on the modem? It doesn't mess with dB's does it?

Each PoE between the street and the modem will add about 0.5dBmV of attenuation. Putting a PoE on the 6way splitter input will block MoCA from reaching the basement. Putting it on the modem only makes sense if the MoCA signals confuse it, but I doubt they will. Best to wait and see before trying that. The main reason to have the PoE is to prevent MoCA signals leaving your network and interfering w/ your neighbors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!