What's new

Moca connection explanation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Czerdrill

Occasional Visitor
I hope i can make this clear. I can't figure out how to connect my MOCA adapters with my current xt8 setup

Heres how its connected now:

The coax from the wall goes into my modem. There is an ethernet running from modem to WAN port on xt8. Then i have devices plugged into LAN on the xt8. Wireless backhaul works perfect.

So how do i turn this setup into MOCA? here's what I'm thinking:

Coax from wall goes into coax of moca adapter. Ethernet cable still goes from modem to xt8 WAN. ethernet cable goes from XT8 lan to ethernet of MOCA adapter

Is that correct? Does the coax input on the modem have nothing in it now?

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

The wiring configuration based on your information would be:

Cable from wall ->> 2 way Splitter ->> splitter leg 1 to modem - Modem to router WAN port - leg 2 to MOCA adapter 1.

(Depending on type of MOCA adapters the splitter may not be needed. Some MOCA adapters have a splitter built in.)

Ethernet cable from LAN port on router to MOCA adapter 1's Ethernet port

Coaxial cable (somewhere else in your home) to MOCA adapter 2

Ethernet cable from MOCA adapter 2 to devices (AP, PC , etc.)

The pair of MOCA adapters allow you to use coaxial cable instead of an Ethernet cable to connect two or more points points.

The wiring configuration based on your information would be:

Cable from wall ->> 2 way Splitter ->> splitter leg 1 to modem - Modem to router WAN port - leg 2 to MOCA adapter 1.

(Depending on type of MOCA adapters the splitter may not be needed. Some MOCA adapters have a splitter built in.)

Ethernet cable from LAN port on router to MOCA adapter 1's Ethernet port

Coaxial cable (somewhere else in your home) to MOCA adapter 2

Ethernet cable from MOCA adapter 2 to devices (AP, PC , etc.)

The pair of MOCA adapters allow you to use coaxial cable instead of an Ethernet cable to connect two or more points points.
The MoCA adapter has a built in splitter with a coax out. Just go from that to the modem.

Doesn't seem to work. The coax lights on the adapters do not turn on. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

You are doing something wrong. I just setup moca and will send you a drawing later today.

Doesn't seem to work. The coax lights on the adapters do not turn on. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Attached is a simple drawing of my setup and moca adapter photos. Hope this helps.

Thank you I'm sure it's me as well.

Attachments

• Drawing-1.png
    Drawing-1.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 392
  • Moca-1.jpg
    Moca-1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 412
  • Moca-2.jpg
    Moca-2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 369
Attached is a simple drawing of my setup and moca adapter photos. Hope this helps.
Ok so here's where I'm confused. The splitter goes to moca 2 and moca 1? In my setup my xt8 node is downstairs. So i have the coax coming in from the wall, which goes into the coax port on moca 2, and then rj45 to the lan. What am i missing? Does the rj45 go to the wan on the node?

Edit: also is the moca filter required?

Ok so here's where I'm confused. The splitter goes to moca 2 and moca 1? In my setup my xt8 node is downstairs. So i have the coax coming in from the wall, which goes into the coax port on moca 2, and then rj45 to the lan. What am i missing? Does the rj45 go to the wan on the node?

Edit: also is the moca filter required?

RJ45 on Moca 2 goes to WAN of the node. Better to have Moca filter. I also uploaded two more pictures.

Still no go followed yours to the letter. Very weird.

My setup is very similar to the diagram posted that you're referring to. And I've got the Asus XT8 nodes connected with Ethernet backhaul as pictured and discussed as well. It works; the node shows the backhaul is Ethernet.

But I've found the Asus Android mobile app cannot be used to connect Ethernet by default. First thing I did was reset the node and pair again per the quick Guide instructions with router node again but the close pairing step with a single short external Ethernet cable from router LAN to WAN of node. But the web portal has a priority mode that can be set to favor Ethernet first so Ethernet backhaul is possible without the reset and pairing that I did. Be careful with the Asus mobile app, I'd suggest using only the web portal to setup 5G-2. I've discovered that the mobile app can default the backhaul to radio rather than Ethernet. When and if that happens, go-to the web portal and prioritize the backhaul as wired Ethernet again.

Not sure what may be going wrong with your MoCa adapters but I will note that any splitter may not work as expected. You need one that is compliant with MoCa frequency passband; most cable broadband ISP splitters are compatible but a splitter purchased off the shelf may not include the frequency passband needed for cable broadband and MoCa. You can find MoCa splitters for purchase, likely where you found your MoCa adapters. These splitters are likely not in a MoCa kit unless described as such. I purchased mine separately.

If you suspect the splitter, look closely for passband and compare to your MoCa adapters. They should both indicate compatibility in frequency passed; the splitter may even be a wider passband then the MoCa adapter.

And where you say you have coax coming from the wall, the other end should be connected to the common MoCa splitter with compatible frequency passband. Your cable broadband can share that same common splitter and cable TV can even split off the cable from wall to cable TV boxes. Cable TV is an option, not necessarily needed. But even cable TV can be compatible with MoCa and share the same coax cable.

Picture the common splitter this way, if you have cable broadband. The cable from ISP would come in to that MoCa filter, then common splitter at your ISP service location. The other ends feed the coax in walls and rooms that are connected for service. "From walls" is where the other ends go to your MoCa adapters. If you have cable TV box and modem at same location, you may need an extra splitter to feed both coming off the MoCa adapter. If you have TV locations with cable TV from your broadband ISP, the other rooms without the modem can use the other coax to feed the cable TV box. This may reduce the number of splitters needed.

Read your MoCa adapter installation instructions to make sure you're using the right coaxial connections on the MoCa adapter.

Apologies if the generalization of this post was already understood. I covered all the possible loose ends imagined. Best wishes for success. My network is similar but I've got 3 MoCa adapters but no cable TV, just cable broadband and MoCa combined.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

All what MOCA adaptors are you using as interested in this setup and buying some? Any recommendations?

All what MOCA adaptors are you using as interested in this setup and buying some? Any recommendations?
Mine are Motorola MM1000 Bonded MoCa 2.0 adapters. I've had them for 2 years now; they seem as good as the day I installed them. MoCa 2.0 is 1 Gbps speed max. MoCa 2.5 is 2.5 Gbps but I've read some may not have but 1 Gbps Ethernet connectors.

The slower speed and lesser expense is enough for me and my subscribed speed. I'll wait to upgrade. But if buying now, do some research and see if the expense is worth it for future proofing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I am in the UK so not sure if MOCA works here. I guess it would as I have COAX in the house for TV.

I am in the UK so not sure if MOCA works here. I guess it would as I have COAX in the house for TV.
I don't know why MoCA wouldn't work for you?

I looked a little more into MoCA 2.5 and docsis 3.1 and had to take a look at my MoCA splitter bandpass. My splitter supports both MoCA 2.5 and docsis 3.1 with its bandpass of 5-2300 MHz. MoCA up to 2.5 specification isn't all that wide but docsis 3.1 for coexistence of broadband is considerably wider.

I'm thinking the only concern you have is getting a MoCa splitter with wide enough bandpass to support your current cable services, if you're subscribed to cable services like broadband or TV. And you don't have to have cable TV to coexist with all that but likely supported. And you don't have to have the MoCA adapters at every wall outlet. You just won't internet connection where coax wall outlet doesn't have a MoCA adapter.

If you have cable TV, you'll need a MoCA splitter that has a port count to support the amount of wall outlets plus your ISP coming in.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: