What's new

MOCA, DOCSIS, and OTA on shared COAX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abailey

Very Senior Member
Ok I use MOCA extensively in my house but I do not have to share coax between technologies. But now I am helping a friend set up a MOCA in an older house he just purchased. In this house he will have to share the COAX. I read that MOCA2.0 and higher can share COAX with DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1. I also read that MOCA 2.0 and higher can share COAX with an OTA antenna. Thats great but in the picture below (apologies for the simplistic pic) it appears that the DOCSIS signal will bleed into my OTA signal (which it appears the two can not share COAX). Does the below setup present a problem and if so is there a way for me to filter out the DOCSIS signal in the junction box before sending the MOCA signal the the rest of the house?
MOCApic.gif

Last edited:
try a HDHomerun tuner for the OTA. Put on the drop from the antenna and inside the house.

thoughts...

Details within the junction box shouldn't be hidden. What are the connections?

Are these all the coax lines involved? To what device is the OTA signal being fed? (A satellite/OTA diplexer might be used within a workaround solution, depending on where the OTA signal needs to get. The DOCSIS signal only needs to get to the gateway, right?)

DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA can conflict, and some DOCSIS 3.1 modems/gateways can be affected by MoCA signals. Workarounds include adjusting the MoCA frequency in use, installing a MoCA filter on the modem/gateway coax port.

Last edited:
thoughts...

Are these all the coax lines involved? To what device is the OTA signal being fed? (A satellite/OTA diplexer might be used within a workaround solution, depending on where the OTA signal needs to get. The DOCSIS signal only needs to get to the gateway, right?)

DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA can conflict, and some DOCSIS 3.1 modems/gateways can be affected by MoCA signals. Workarounds include adjusting the MoCA frequency in use, installing a MoCA filter on the modem/gateway coax port.

Something like the following in the junction box, using an ant/satellite diplexer to segment the signals, could work ... but no way to be definite given the unknowns.

junction box.png

edit: Probably shouldn't be posting this late, as I understand, now, that you have a TV at each computer location. (Those aren't just the computer monitors.) If so, the above diagram should do the trick in getting the computers networked and the OTA signal to each TV.

Last edited:
thoughts...

hey @krkaufman! Kind of related. I have spectrum gig and docsis 3.1 being installed tomorrow. I also have 2 moca 2.5 gocoax adapters.Works great with docsis 3.0 but worried about 3.1. it looks like I’m using 1150 and up on the moca adapters, and getting around 3600 speed on them per the UI. What can I do to be prepared for the 3.1 gigabit upgrade if spectrum uses high bands? I have an extra POE adapter, would putting one on the end of the coax going into the 3.1 modem work? Any downside to that? Or maybe only using higher bands for moca? Even if that drops the moca speed to 2000 or so from 3600, it’s still more than the gigabit lan stuff it’s plugged into right?

my second moca adapter is in my home theater, and used for Xbox one gaming (I get my full 450/20 internet speed testing on Xbox over moca) and AppleTV (again 450/22 or so Speedtest) streaming only. The moca adapter is plugged into a small 5 port switch and those devices also to the switch. Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!