What's new

Another newbie, looking to see if I have setup correct

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mthomp

New Around Here
I have:
OTA antenna, with amp, coming to coax splitter, that routes signal to 2 TVs (expanding soon to 3 TVs).
Router wired to switch (plus wireless devices). The router is next to one of the TVs.

I am considering a set (2 for now)
-- Bonded 2.0 MoCA adapters (TrendNet TMO-311C2K. I'm not a gamer so am not worried about latency and 100-200 Mbps is fine).
or
-- Bonded 2.5 MoCA adapters (Hitron HTEM4)

These have 2 coax and 1 ethernet ports each. I will be adding a switch(s) to the remote MoCA adapter(s) for device connectivity.

As far as I have read, OTA and ethernet are compatible on a MoCA network.

Questions to make sure I have this correct:
1.) Beyond the two adapters, all I need is a single filter, placed between the amp and the coax splitter, correct?
2.) The adapters, which state the two coax ports are 1xMoCA and 1xTV, wouldn't need filters, correct?
3.) The signal from the antenna would be coming from the wall, split, then to the MoCA adapters, where those would add the ethernet (via MoCA), correct?
4.) All my devices are static private IPs so wiring the MoCA to the switch(vs to the router) will make no difference, correct?

I appreciate your expertise and help,
MThomp

I have:
OTA antenna, with amp, coming to coax splitter, that routes signal to 2 TVs (expanding soon to 3 TVs).
Router wired to switch (plus wireless devices). The router is next to one of the TVs.

I am considering a set (2 for now)
-- Bonded 2.0 MoCA adapters (TrendNet TMO-311C2K. I'm not a gamer so am not worried about latency and 100-200 Mbps is fine).
or
-- Bonded 2.5 MoCA adapters (Hitron HTEM4)

These have 2 coax and 1 ethernet ports each. I will be adding a switch(s) to the remote MoCA adapter(s) for device connectivity.

Questions to make sure I have this correct:
1.) Beyond the two adapters, all I need is a single filter, placed between the amp and the coax splitter, correct?
2.) The adapters, which state the two coax ports are 1xMoCA and 1xTV, wouldn't need filters, correct?
3.) The signal from the antenna would be coming from the wall, split, then to the MoCA adapters, where those would add the ethernet (via MoCA), correct?
4.) All my devices are static private IPs so wiring the MoCA to the switch(vs to the router) will make no difference, correct?

I appreciate your expertise and help,
MThomp

I recently added a MoCA segment shared with my OTA TV antennas. I only placed a MoCA filter at the antennas to block MoCA signaling to the antennas... did not want to broadcast anything.

The other place for a MoCA filter would be at the demarc to block MoCA signaling to the ISP/WAN connection/neighborhood... this is not required when not connecting your MoCA network to your ISP network.

Regarding the MoCA adapters... it seems that the latest 2.5Gbps adapters with 2.5Gbps Ethernet port do not include the integrated MoCA splitter (2 coax ports)... so I added my own external MoCA splitters.

OE

Last edited:
Regarding the MoCA adapters... it seems that the latest 2.5Gbps adapters with 2.5Gbps Ethernet port do not include the integrated MoCA splitter (2 coax ports)... so I added my own external MoCA splitters.
FWIW, such MoCA adapters use an internal diplexer (dual filters), rather than a simple splitter, to splice the signals, to save a bit of signal strength … with the MoCA adapter RF pass-through port then having a pass-band of 5-1002 MHz (OK for passing cable and OTA signals).

In a MoCA/OTA setup, a similar benefit can be gained by using antenna/satellite diplexers … when using MoCA adapters lacking a pass-through port. (Same can’t be done for MoCA/cable, since the cable frequencies don’t align with the ant/sat diplexer pass-bands.)

OTA and retail (Band D) MoCA are compatible, can coexist, on shared coax.

* OTA: 54-608 MHz
* MoCA (Ext. Band D): 1125-1675 MHz

Preferably a 70 dB MoCA filter installed directly on the MoCA-optimized splitter’s input port, to prevent MoCA signals from hitting and emanating from the antenna.

Correct. (A MoCA filter blocks MoCA signals, so a MoCA filter on the MoCA port would be self-defeating.)

It’s not impossible that a TV might be affected by MoCA signals, but it’s uncommon. A MoCA filter could be added on a given TV if the TV seems to be exhibiting symptoms of MoCA sensitivity.

Re: 3 & 4… correct Re: both.

Thank you both. I've ordered the 2 pack of Hitron HTEM4 adapters and a Belden PoE filter with ground (antenna is grounded but figure it can't hurt to have an extra point of ground to protect the network). Temporarily I'll use an old router on the new end of the ethernet, then likely order a larger switch to replace what I have and then use the current switch instead of the old router.

Actually, if in US, all of the earthing ties to one point mostly through the design of electronics and the power delivery wiring. The structure they are installed in offers some level of protection from lightning. An outdoor antenna is supposed to be installed per code for lightning diversion to earth with a spark gap coupler on the coax downlead. The diversion wire used to be allowed to follow a straight path to earth, but best i recall, the latest NEC code requires it to bond directly to the electrical distribution wiring earth point with limits on run length, bends, and wire size. The intent is that the antenna potential looks no different to a thunderstorm than the earth below .

If you create two separated earthing points, depending on soil type and moisture levels, there can be a voltage difference between the two causing current to flow. This is called a ground loop. It can, and has in my experience, caused electronics to fail.

so read the NEC current code and make sure you do it by the book. The code represents a minimum practical (mostly) damage risk level agreed to across industry based on experience, design practicality, and insurance losses. Insurance companies can take a dim view if an installation is not up to the code at the date of installing.

I ended up with the Hitron 2.5 HTEM4 adapters. I used the mount, wiring, and grounding point from the previous Dish network dish antenna. Just needed to swap the distribution block. At the first network switch, on 200 Mbps service, I'm getting ~225 down, ~30 up. On the MoCA, I'm getting ~190 down, ~28 up. 5g WiFi, at the location of the remote MoCA, I get ~45 down, ~10 up. And, with a new outside antenna, I'm getting a number of new channels and the one that was in and out with the weather has been fine.

Thanks for the advice.