What's new

MoCA + general network configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stook1

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I would most appreciate some assistance with a new MoCA implementation that I'd like to do in my house. I am running a very basic network right now with just a Linksys E2000 running DD-WRT. My networking skills are limited so pardon any dumb questions!

Networking Requirements

1. Upper Floor: I have a network server, cable modem and the E2000 router running in NG Mixed mode to accommodate non-N clients. I don't really need wifi on this floor but I would like gigabit wired connectivity for the server.

2. Main Floor: I have an HTPC with wireless-N connectivity (so-so connection), Cablevision STB, and a network-able TV that isnt connected to the network yet. I want to get a faster/stable connection on this floor for the HTPC and TV. I also want to get a better quality wifi signal on this floor.

3. Lower Floor: I have another TV with STB on this floor. I just need better Wifi on this floor. No other needs here really.

What would be the optimal MoCA + Network configuration for my needs? I have been looking at the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I MoCA routers since they offer wireless N and people seem to report faster MoCA performance as well. If I use these for MoCA networking would they be usable for wireless access as well? Or do I need a router sitting in front of each MoCA device?

Any assitance would be most appreciated!

thanks!

Last edited:
Before going to MoCA...
No way to do CAT5, say, down an interior wall or down a plenum for the HVAC air return?

It's a PITA, but of course long term preferrable

Before going to MoCA...
No way to do CAT5, say, down an interior wall or down a plenum for the HVAC air return?

It's a PITA, but of course long term preferrable

Thanks for your reply. No doubt CAT5 would be preferred! Unfortunately, my house is an open floor plan and I can't figure out a clean way to do the install. I could probably get CAT5 into the floor I labelled Lower without much difficulty but the Main floor is an issue.

I elected to use MoCA to avoid the issues with IP over power line.
But my need was to get wired IP connectivity to my smart TV and Blueray players. So there was already coax there, and coax in the garage where there's an ethernet switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!