What's new

MoCa - Help With Network Please - Newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe I missed it but for me, a step was skipped. I'm still scratching my head on the first picture with two CableCO feeds that are tied together in the house (UP and DOWN). Are there REALLY two active feeds from the CableCO?
Need to read a bit further on. There's just one feed from the CableCo, which splits to the two separate lines in the cable junction box, outside. (see posts #7 and #23)
i took a closer look to the outside of the house. i should have taken a picture but if memory serves its looks as if there is one coax coming down to a cable company box and from there it splits - there is cable heading down to the basement and one going back to second floor.
as noted my external cable enclosure has one cox coming in off the pole (down the house and into the box) and two coax lines coming out plus the ground which attached directly to electric meter box.

View attachment 20659

Question: In the current working diagram I (we) have a computer connected to one of the goCoax boxes (first floor). What should I be looking for if I wanted to make that connection WiFi access point. A wifi router or extender? Obviously it would be a wired (ethernet) connection to the goCoax box. Is there anything network specific?

At this point I am overthinking it. I have a NETGEAR AC1200 Wifi extender that has an access point mode. I guess I am thinking that I need something more robust with additional LAN ports etc. ...

Any recommendations?
A LOT of options are available, and others will have more informed opinions on the best possible devices.

My suggestions would be to get the MoCA changes proven, first, with the suggested setup, before adding the access point. But when it comes to adding a remote access point, if you have a usable device, start with that ... then replace/upgrade it as performance requires.

I do need to configure the goCoax boxes and then run a performance test to get some baseline numbers
What needs to be configured on the goCoax adapters? I would think they would be plug and play, assuming you have a "PoE" MoCA filter installed, securing your MoCA network. (i.e. There'd be no need for MoCA privacy/encryption.)

What needs to be configured on the goCoax adapters? I would think they would be plug and play, assuming you have a "PoE" MoCA filter installed, securing your MoCA network. (i.e. There'd be no need for MoCA privacy/encryption.)

configuration: the go Coax boxes have an optional encryption feature via IP log in but for the sake of simplicity and plug and play it can wait

configuration: the go Coax boxes have an optional encryption feature via IP log in but for the sake of simplicity and plug and play it can wait
As mentioned above, also because you'll wisely be using a "PoE" MoCA filter to keep your MoCA signals secured to your in-home coax lines.

I have two holland MoCa POE in my parts box. One for before the 4 way and one for voice modem input.

Wife said she will have the office/computer room free of her clothing this weekend. SO hopefully I can move forward sooner than later.

Question: In the current working diagram I (we) have a computer connected to one of the goCoax boxes (first floor). What should I be looking for if I wanted to make that connection WiFi access point. A wifi router or extender? Obviously it would be a wired (ethernet) connection to the goCoax box. Is there anything network specific?

At this point I am overthinking it. I have a NETGEAR AC1200 Wifi extender that has an access point mode. I guess I am thinking that I need something more robust with additional LAN ports etc.

Not really a NETGEAR fan but it works.
Any recommendations?

I would advise getting each link in the chain working first before adding complexity to it.

In terms of wifi, you can just plug the ethernet from the MoCA device into the uplink port of the access point. There are lots of options. You could use your existing wifi extender and plug a switch into a LAN port of the extender/access point to add ports. You could find an old router and turn it into an access point by disabling the DHCP and uplink.

Approx. 2 months later and here I am! I am back!! Sorry for the delay.

Life happens and I finally have a day off where nothing needed my attention other than my MoCa install (aka my wife went to see her grandmother lol)

Filters are installed and MoCa units have been connect. And it works! Physical installation of the MoCa parts was no issue (well I still had to move a bunch of my wife's stuff lol)

My download and upload speeds are essentially the same as when I connected my laptop directly to my wifi router.

download speeds are averaging 23.4 Mpbs

upload speeds 2.4 Mpbs

I am not sure if those numbers are good but they are nearly the same as without MoCa.

The biggest difficulty I had was getting my Mac desktop unit to recognize the ethernet connection. Took a few tries but it recognized the ethernet connection and I am connected without wifi to the MoCa network.

Now that is good news!

But the not so great news is that I was getting the same performance connecting with wifi.

I am NOT pooh pooing MoCa. Everyones network environment is different. Obviously, I have a strong wifi signal throughout my house and I am sure I will have greater stability vs Wifi.

on your mac desktop, just put a dumb Gb switch in between the modem and the mac.

speeds - your ISP connection is limiting i suspect. try running an iperf test between two devices. that is a better test. The purpose of moca is to get the APs and connections where you need them and not get in the way. you can also go into the diagnostic page of the moca modems and confirm the link rate.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!