What's new

MoCa Installation Splitter use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EmperorWatcher

New Around Here
I have an external antenna connected to 2 TVs. Separately, I have a Comcast phone/internet cable. Both cables enter the house next to each other. I'd like to use that antenna cable as the means to bring internet to the 2 TVs/Roku by connecting my Actiontec MoCa adapters.

How do I combine the 2 cables? I haven't seen any splitters that accept 2 inputs. Actiontec CS says that mixing signals isn't an issue, but I can't find the means to do it.

Are there 2 input splitters available? Is this a workable solution?

Many thanks!

Splitters work in both directions. Just connect your two inputs to what you are calling the two outputs and everything will be OK. If you need to use a three way splitter you probably would want to hook your inputs to the two matched -7db legs.

To be sure your MOCA works you will need to replace any 900Mhz splitters with 2- 3 Ghz splitters which are usually used for satellite TV. You can buy then for a couple of bucks on line. No need to pay $8- $12 retail for gold platted splitters.

I thought they worked in both directions. Seemed obvious, but since they have different ratings, I wondered if there might be something I had to consider. I'll give that a try and hope for the best! Thanks!

On mine, a four way splitter is used: Input is TV signals. MoCA device one is one of the four output ports; MoCA device two is on another of the four ports. The port-to-port loss, per the normal commonplace splitter specs is about 14dB loss. That's enough margin for MoCA.

From input port to one of the four outputs is about 7.5dB loss.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!