What's new

MoCA network good, internet in 3 rooms but not 4th room

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

it may be a negotiation issue between the modems or a connection issue. Check for "whiskers" of shield braid inside the male connectors. Also look at the length of the center conductor versus the screw on connector. It may be that one of them was not mechanically tight and re-attaching made the difference. That long ping time for room 3 made me suspicious of noise or interference.

The negotiation issue is why i suggested powering up room 4 first. It should not happen, but there might be an issue with the MOCA 2 head end and the rest of the MOCA 1.1 modems. i don't know. If it stops working, try that order again and see what happens.

Are the modems all of the same brand ?

Regarding the coax connectors: I had the same idea and before accessing the help forum, I checked all the connectors and replaced any that looked suspect. I also went room to room and checked out the wall connectors - we actually built our own home some 30 years ago and I installed the distribution system and ran all the cables myself. Interestingly, the only wall outlet I cannot get to is in room 4. It's buried behind a built in book case which is loaded with 2 computers, nas, printer, etc. Once everything worked again, I made the decision to bite the bullet and take everything down and redo that wall connection. I just have to find the time...

All the modems are Actiontec except the one that feeds the streaming devices in room 2. That one is a Yitong MoCA 2.0 4 port modem and has been running perfectly for months.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!