What's new

Modem firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
I have both Motorola sb6141 and Arris sb6190 modems. Supposedly the only way to update their firmware is from the ISP, but I have never heard that. Is it true? Anyone know? I contacted my ISP but they had nothing to offer, but sounded unclear about firmware, etc. Cox communications is the ISP.

ISP will update cablemodem firmware automatically when there's a need for it. In general ISPs tend to be very conservative tho. They won't push an update just because one is available, only if it resolves an issue specifically affecting them.

FWIW, Been with the current ISP for several years, they were clear up front that even though we owned our modem, they would push updates only if needed for compatibility for their system, and that we should not bother attempting to update/manage it. It's good practice to ask the ISP which brand/model of modem works best with their system, if you opt out of renting theirs, otherwise you may be very disappointed when they decline to offer any help. The last update we had was automated, performed late one evening when tech support wasn't available. We were in the middle of a transaction when suddenly the connectivity failed and the monitor lit up with a barrage of warnings. Very easy to figure out it wasn't us, with only one light left blinking on our modem. We unplugged the unit for 1/2 hour and when it rebooted we had limited connectivity so we could finish up.

The next morning the local techs weren't helpful as they don't push the updates, so weren't in the mood to be forthcoming. They were happy to suggest we should rent their modem instead of buying another, so they could swap it out in the future, hardly cost cost-effective. Their national tech center was much more helpful; it pays to stay on good terms with the higher-ups, as well as to pay the bill promptly. They saw where the update had failed and as it still registered, advised us to log off. They manually pushed the update again and it went without a hitch. The manager mentioned their software isn't supposed to push the update unless activity on the connection is below a certain level but sometimes, stuff happens.

We ordered a new unit for a backup, just in case They almost never notify when an updates might happen and as always, any update carries risk, We were lucky this time. Cheers

I got a more knowledgeable person on the phone today (tier 2 tech) who told me the latest firmware version and confirmed its what i have, i believe her for now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!