What's new

modem help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

biglion

New Around Here
i have sbg6580 modem im not able to update firmware
also my internet lags so maybe its time for upgrade also how
so whats the length of time for modem to upgrade

Your broadband provider manages this device.

They'll push out updates as they need to for security purposes.

yea but im not able to update firmware at all
That’s the whole point - you won’t be able to do it because the cable provider can do that as the previous reply mentioned.

That’s the whole point - you won’t be able to do it because the cable provider can do that as the previous reply mentioned.

ok but the provider can give me updates on a modem thats not provided from them i purchased
my own modem

I purchased my cable modem too but they (the cable company) controls the firmware updates. And such updates don’t happen very often.

ok but the provider can give me updates on a modem thats not provided from them i purchased
my own modem
Again your ISP needs to control the firmware to allow the modem to properly work on their Headend and Internet Connection. It is just like a computer. You own the hardware but the. oS is controlled bythe entity that created it.

The reason the ISP controls it is because it is their network. Your network starts with your router not modem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!