What's new

monitor internet connection and reboot router on loss?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RRands

Occasional Visitor
I have an AC-68u running current Merlin FW. I re-boot the router at 3:00 AM every morning (stuff just seems to run better that way). Recently, the router gets in some sort of hung stage, and I have to physically power-cycle it when I get up in the AM. I was wondering if there is a way / tool to check internet connectivity and reboot the router after say 10 minutes of no internet. I did some quick searches, but did not find anything that looked promising. Any thoughts, ideas, tools?

Thank you in advance - I appreciate any help or pointers!

-randy

Discussion and script here:

I have an AC-68u running current Merlin FW. I re-boot the router at 3:00 AM every morning (stuff just seems to run better that way). Recently, the router gets in some sort of hung stage, and I have to physically power-cycle it when I get up in the AM. I was wondering if there is a way / tool to check internet connectivity and reboot the router after say 10 minutes of no internet. I did some quick searches, but did not find anything that looked promising. Any thoughts, ideas, tools?

Thank you in advance - I appreciate any help or pointers!

-randy

There's actually plugs that do this automatically now too, built in ping or DNS test and if it fails, it bounces the power. Helps if the router freezes and a script can't run.

But the real issue is, something is wrong with your router. It should be able to run months or even a year+ without reboot or hanging. It may be in its way out, or you may need to put it on Merlin 386.11 and factory reset followed by manual reconfigure. The 68u has NVRAM issues with 386.9 and 10. 11 and 12 fix it as long as you do a factory reset after installing.

Can also try going back to 386.7_2 or the Asus equivalent of it. I've found that one was one of the most stable and reliable (and no NVRAM issues) though 11 has been working well for me too (after factory reset). Have not tried 12.

But the real issue is, something is wrong with your router. It should be able to run months or even a year+ without reboot or hanging.

Yeah, this. If you find yourself rebooting network infrastructure for any reason other than firmware upgrades, that is nonsense up with which you should not put. Find a less buggy firmware version, or disable problematic features, or switch to a manufacturer that takes reliability seriously. But "I reboot my router once a day" is a badge of shame, not honor.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!